Durban Unveils 2013 Living Legends and New PartnersSeptember 17, 2013
Global Ministries partner in South Africa, Inanda Seminary, received an Appreciation Award from the eThekwini Municipality. Inanda Seminary remained a beacon of hope to all who passed through the school’s doors, during the darkest days of apartheid
The full article follows:
The eThekwini Municipality has unveiled eight of the awardees who will be recoginised in this year’s Living Legends Awards. This took place yesterday, 14/0813 in a sensational media launch at KwaMuhle Museum.
Now in its sixth year, the annual eThekwini Living Legends Awards event (Living Legends), taking place of 6 September 2013, will again celebrate and revere those members of the broader eThekwini community, who have given years of tireless dedication and service to community and society.
‘Proudly eThekwini’, the Living Legends Awards is an initiative of the Parks, Recreation & Culture Service Unit of eThekwini Municipality, created to recognise the greatness achieved by past or current residents of eThekwini in various fields of human endeavour, while they are still living. It forms part of the Unit’s Heritage month celebrations and is an integral item on the annual Celebrate Durban calendar.
EThekwini Municipality Speaker, Logie Naidoo, said this year’s event will once again provide an opportunity to reflect on a rich legacy of leadership by individuals from all sectors of society, who have, and continue to make, an inspirational difference in society, both within our own country and further afield.
“It has been six years since the Living Legends programme was initiated by our City, and during that time we have conferred our deepest thanks and appreciation on over 100 South Africans, all of whom have a “Proudly Durban” connection. We also want to take this opportunity to remember one of our former Living Legends, Justice Pius Langa, who passed on 24 July this year. In 2008 the Chief Justice was included as a Living Legend for his outstanding contribution to the Freedom Struggle and legal deliberation in the highest courts of South Africa. Our condolences are extended to the Langa family at this time of their bereavement,” said Naidoo.
Awardees for 2013 have been nominated from the fields of arts and culture, human rights, academia, science and technology, music and entertainment, sport, business, the environment and religion.
Awardees for 2013 are:
ENTERTAINMENT, ARTS & CULTURE
- Joseph Shabalala – Founder Member of Ladysmith Black Mambazo
- Ranjith Kally – Veteran Apartheid Photographer
- Mary Mkhwanazi – Founder of the South African Domestic Workers Union.
- Rev. Sue Brittion – Eco Warrior & Conflict Resolution facilitator
- Jackie Branfield – Operation Bobbi Bear; Children & Women’s Rights advocate
- Prof. Malegapuru Makgoba – Internationally recognised academic
- Samuel Draai – Humanitarian & Community Service
- Desmond Makhanya – Graduate of Adams College & Historian
- Tich Smith – LIV Children’s Village in Verulam; his work in Community Development & Upliftment
- Sizwe Nxasana – CEO of First Rand Bank and a leader in the world of business and finance
- Sue Pather – Women’s Cricket Umpire; founder member of the National Council of Women in SA
- Mkhuluwe Cele – Exceptional work done in the field of indigenous plants and traditional healing / medicine
In addition, two Appreciation Awards have been made this year to: Inanda Seminary, which remained a beacon of hope to all who passed through the school’s doors, during the darkest days of apartheid and Ladysmith Black Mambazo, true ‘sons of KZN’ and distinguished South Africans who have made their musical mark on the world map.
The Head of Parks, Recreation and Culture Unit, Thembinkosi Ngcobo, said he was proud to announce BMW as new partners for the Living Legends Awards
“BMW has joined Old Mutual and Ukhozi FM who have been partners of this imperative event since its inception. This is a sign that the awards have grown by leaps and bounds and everyone in the City wants to be part of this noble event. The eThekwini Metro is full of pride to be associated with individuals of this caliber and we are pleased to add them to the roll of those who we consider the Living Legends of this City,” said Ngcobo.
For more information please contact Thabo Mofokeng on 082 731 7456/ 031 311 4820 or e-mail email@example.com
comments powered by Disqus