The World Council of Churches calls on international churches to pray for peace on September 21 each year. The Day of Prayer for Peace was initiated in 2004 as part of the WCC's Decade to Overcome Violence, which culminated in 2011 with the International Ecumenical Peace Convocation, held in Kingston, Jamaica.
Choose September 21, or a Sunday close to it, as an opportunity to focus in prayer, study and actions, ways to build peace in your community and around the world.
International Day of Prayer for Peace
The World Council of Churches calls on churches around the world to pray for peace on September 21 each year.
Resources for the International Day of Prayer for Peace
Other Worship Resources on Peace
“The Sword of Peace,” Sermon by Rev. Dr. Janet Parker
“Their Plowshares are Beat Into Swords,” by Prof. Walter Brueggemann
Share your prayers
for Peace Day
International Day of Peace
The United Nations recognizes September 21 as the International Day of Peace. The UN General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples.
The theme for the 2013 UN International Day of Peace is “Education for Peace.”
The theme for the 2012 UN International Day of Peace was “Sustainable Peace for a Sustainable Future,” and invited communities to imagine a vision for creating “The World We Want.”
Resources for the International Day of Peace
- Global Ministries supports peace talks between the Government of Colombia and the National Liberation Army
- CMEP Bulletin: Avoiding Difficult Discussions at the UN
- 3rd Thursday Alert: Call on Congress to put an end to Israel’s demolition of Palestinian homes and schools
- WCC NEWS: Dialogue on sacred texts yields peace-building insights
- Letter to Donald Trump to avoid a military intervention in Venezuela
- Churches for Middle East Peace Announces Next Advocacy Summit
- WCC NEWS: A Reformation cycling pilgrimage of justice and peace
- Action Alert: Say no to Anti-BDS legislation
- WCC NEWS: Muslim and Christians pray together for just peace in Al Aqsa Mosque
- ELCJHL Bishop Munib Younan Accepts the Niwano Peace Prize, Today