UCC women have always played a very important role in our church’s global mission efforts. Women’s groups and Global Ministries have worked together over the years to make that possible. We would like to celebrate what women in your congregation are doing to continue that legacy. Won’t you share your stories of mission with us? We also want to accompany UCC women on their global mission journey. We offer this resource about sharing and receiving the Good News of Jesus Christ. As your group plans global mission activities this year, we hope you will consider using this guide to action.
Global Mission Women...
1. …PRAY regularly for partners, missionaries and the world: Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12
___ a. Pray regularly in your women’s gatherings for the country, partners and missionaries highlighted in the mission materials posted on www.globalministries.org.
___ b. Use the Global Ministries monthly Mission Bulletin Story or Weekly Prayer as prayer resources.
- Download Story and Prayer at the Global Ministries homepage: www.globalministries.org/worship_resources
2. …EDUCATE women about global issues: Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2
___ a. Share the blogs and letters of our female missionaries as a devotional in your gatherings.
___ b. Watch a segment of the Global Ministries Connecting Threads video series during a (or several) women’s gathering and use the study guide to lead a discussion.
- Call 1.800.537.3394 to order the free DVD.
3. …SEEK JUSTICE for the “least of these” in the international community: What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8
___ a. Educate and mobilize women in your congregation on one or more advocacy issues.
- Social action ideas: www.globalministries.org/justice_and_advocacy
___ b. Participate in a Global Ministries call to take action by checking here: www.globalministries.org/justice_and_advocacy
4. …RECEIVE the gifts of the global church: At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality. 2 Corinthians 8:14
___ a. Host a global partner at your church and learn about living in another culture. Invite women from other churches to attend.
- Contact the Conference office to learn when mission personnel will be in your area.
___ b. Host your Conference’s missionary(ies) in your congregation when he or she is interpreting.
- Find your Conference’s missionary(ies): www.globalministries.org/missionary_relationships
5. …GIVE to the work of global mission: Just as you excel in everything...see that you also excel in this grace of giving. 2 Corinthians 8:7
___ a. Conduct fundraisers to support mission projects. (Heifer-like animal projects are popular.)
- Current mission projects: www.globalministries.org/special_projects
___ b. Sponsor a child through Global Ministries as a women’s group, promote Our Church’s Wider Mission (OCWM), and collect the One Great Hour of Sharing offering in your congregation or have your group consider an “over and above” giving opportunity through Global Ministries.
- Child Sponsorship Program: www.globalministries.org/child_sponsorship
6. …SEND many into the world to share the Good News of Jesus Christ: How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, Your God reigns! Isaiah 52:7
___ a. Support the youth or others in your congregation by offering scholarships for mission travel.
___ b. Help your congregation plan an overseas group mission trip through Global Ministries’ People-to-People Pilgrimage program.
- For group trip information: www.globalministries.org/people_to_people_pilgrimages
7. …GROW in sharing the story of God’s mission with others: Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9
___ a. Offer mission moments in your women’s group meeting, or in your congregation’s worship.
- Mission moment ideas: www.globalministries.org/mission_bulletin_stories
___ b. Designate at least one women’s group member to participate in a Ministries and Mission Interpreters (MMI) training offered by Global Ministries.
- Contact 216.736.3209 for training dates.
What’s next? If you need help or have questions, don’t hesitate to call or e-mail. We would also love to hear how women in your congregation are implementing these ideas. Please share your stories with us and we will do our best to share them with others!
Mission Education and Interpretation
700 Prospect Ave
Cleveland OH 44115