Job Opening: People-to-People Pilgrimage Associate
Global Ministries of the Division of Overseas Ministries, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the Wider Church Ministries, United Church of Christ
Position: Associate for People-to-People Pilgrimage
Ministry Team: International Programs
Reports to: Vice President for Administration and Programs
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Status: Exempt Regular Full-time
Application due: December 2, 2022
Respond to requests from congregations, conferences, regions, and affiliated organizations for both mission trip experiences and virtual engagement with Global Ministries’ partners around the world. Guide the groups including: adequately resource and orient in the Global Ministries approach to partnership-in-mission, provide logistical support for such trips, and help participants on return to stay connected and to engage. Initiate Global Ministries-sponsored self-supporting pilgrimage trips for specific purposes and constituencies that provide educational mission experiences for the participants and aid them in making global faith connections.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate all mission pilgrimage trips and virtual pilgrimage trips including: seminars, cross-cultural trips, targeted-constituency group trips, etc. This would include any trips growing out of already-established partnerships between conferences/regions, seminary cross-cultural/immersion trips, etc. Facilitate positive communication between groups and Global Ministries’ partners and missionaries with regular contact prior to departure.
- Remain in contact with delegation after the trip to facilitate post-pilgrimage advocacy efforts and collect trip reports, blogs, photos, contact information for all members for the Global Ministries database, and end of year evaluations.
- Design and implement training workshops on People-to-People Pilgrimages for conference/region and general/national church events.
- Design, initiate, publicize and recruit for Global Ministries-sponsored pilgrimages in consultation with the appropriate area executive, or will be resourced in response to initiation by an area office.
- Reach out to churches in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the United Church of Christ to encourage them to share their mission experiences with Global Ministries. Connect leaders with resources if there are planned mission trips occurring without the support of Global Ministries.
- Maintain and update the People-to-People page on the Global Ministries website and prepare posts for net mails, social media, etc.
- Accompany at least one group a year, provided that the delegation covers the coordinator’s expenses.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough understanding of the history, polity, and structures of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ.
- A bachelor’s degree in human resources preferred, or a combination of academic study and experience.
- Competence to deal with complex intercultural, international, and theological issues as they bear upon the implementation of Christian mission.
- Commitment to and theological understanding of mission in its broad range of concerns.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially as well as independently, exercising initiative with appropriate follow through.
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Demonstrated strong written and oral English and Spanish language skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software suites.
- Experience processing and reconciling accounts and monitoring program budget and expenses.
- Experience in office administration; ability to organize work, set priorities, and motivate oneself. Must be proficient in use of the computer, including word processing and data base applications.
- Ability and flexibility to work evenings, weekends and travel within the U.S. and internationally as needed.
Applicants who receive a conditional offer for employment will be required to provide documentation or proof of vaccination status prior to first day of employment.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by December 2, 2022 to Viktoria Varnado-Wooten, Executive Assistant to the President at email@example.com.
The Division of Overseas Ministries is an equal opportunity employer.