Union of Armenian Evangelical Churches in the Near East
The Union of Armenian Evangelical Churches in the Near East was formed in 1924 as a consolidation of the Armenian Evangelical movement which began in the 1820's. It is comprised of 17 congregations rooted in the longer history of Armenian Christianity. Located in seven countries (Egypt, Greece, Iran, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey, and Australia), the congregations and institutions of the Union have persisted in mission and in presence through the Middle East's political and social strife. Armenians are especially proud that Armenia was the first country to adopt Christianity as the official state religion in 301 A.D. Having recently celebrated 1700 years of orthodox Christianity in Armenia, the Armenian churches are proud of their heritage and look forward to many more years of celebrating and responding to Jesus' call. Through its many contributions of ministry and service in the Middle East, the Union upholds that call and is a steadfast presence and witness to Christ's message of hope and reconciliation in a troubled region. The Union’s headquarters is located in Beirut, Lebanon.