The World Council of Churches calls on international churches to pray for peace on September 21 each year. The Day of Prayer for Peace was initiated in 2004 as part of the WCC's Decade to Overcome Violence, which culminated in 2011 with the International Ecumenical Peace Convocation, held in Kingston, Jamaica.
Choose September 21, or a Sunday close to it, as an opportunity to focus in prayer, study and actions, ways to build peace in your community and around the world.
International Day of Prayer for Peace
The World Council of Churches calls on churches around the world to pray for peace on September 21 each year.
Resources for the International Day of Prayer for Peace
Other Worship Resources on Peace
“The Sword of Peace,” Sermon by Rev. Dr. Janet Parker
“Their Plowshares are Beat Into Swords,” by Prof. Walter Brueggemann
Share your prayers
for Peace Day
International Day of Peace
The United Nations recognizes September 21 as the International Day of Peace. The UN General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples.
The theme for the 2013 UN International Day of Peace is “Education for Peace.”
The theme for the 2012 UN International Day of Peace was “Sustainable Peace for a Sustainable Future,” and invited communities to imagine a vision for creating “The World We Want.”
Resources for the International Day of Peace
- MECC: Justice for Artsakh
- Global Ministries and CMEP Statement on Pompeo Visit to the Middle East
- 3rd Thursday Alert: Tell Congress: The U.S. should not contribute to or benefit from increased militarization in the Middle East!
- NCC Statement in Support of Armenia and Armenian Church
- MECC: Violence is a crime against God and humanity … Religions are a message of love and peace
- UAECNE Communiqué: The Artsakh War - A Month On
- Religions for Peace National Gathering of Religious Leaders 2020: Uplifting Moral Voices for Immigration and Refugees
- Prayer for peace in the Nagorno-Karabakh region
- NCC Calls For an Immediate End to the Armenia/Azerbaijan Conflict
- International Day of Peace with the United South Sudanese Urban Refugees Community (USSURC) in Uganda