The Guyana Congregational Union was founded by the London Missionary Society (LMS) in 1808. The mission spread rapidly after the abolition of slavery in 1834. The British Congregational Union in Guyana was formed in 1883. When the LMS withdrew its support, the church almost ceased to exist. In 1908, the Colonial Missionary Society gave additional support. In 1942, outreach among the Arawak Indians were established. After 1942, the Union undertook a joint ministry with other denominations among bauxite miners. In 2004, it had 2,500 members in 45 congregations.