...'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you...'
And the king will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it for me!' Matthew 25:27-40 (adapted)
Would you like to become involved with an easy global mission project? Come, you who are blessed... share comfort and show compassion in life as Christ did around the world. The Global Ministries Child Sponsorship Program is the place to get connected! This global children's ministry works closely with private centers that have long-established links with a UCC or Disciples global partner. Through partners, we work in collaboration with our agencies to provide food, basic health care, clothing and in some cases housing, school fees, uniform, books and training and livelihood opportunities to many poor and destitute children in Asia, Africa, the Caribbean, the Middle East and Europe. Currently, we have 15 centers participating with approximately 900 children in the program. Over the years more than 3,000 poor and low income children have been embraced by sponsors and their gifts. The Child Sponsorship program has been providing assistance for more than 40 years—one child at a time!
On Good Friday, while most school-aged kids in New Jersey enjoyed the day off by playing video games or hanging out with friends, Confirmands in the First Congregational Church of Montclair's Youth Group spent the day fasting and raising money for hunger relief.
Where are our centers?
- Lephoi Centre for the Blind, Francistown, Botswana
- Mt. Selinda Home and additional centers, Zimbabwe
- Elim (Yulin) Children’s Home, Xuchang City, China
- Kalauman Development Center, Dumaguete City, Philippines
- House of Hope, Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- Mt. Olivet Home for Boys, Manchester, Jamaica
- Pringle Home for Children, St. Mary, Jamaica
- Rawdat El Zuhur School, East Jerusalem, Palestinian Territories
- Armenian Missionary Association of America, Armenia
- Union of Armenian Evangelical Churches Children’s Program
- Family Village Farm, Vellore, India
- Sermey Thoesam School, Karnataka, India
- Sonada Refugee Camp, Darjeeling, India
- Tibetan Children's Village, Dharamsala, India
- Tibetan Refugee Self-Help Centre, Darjeeling, India
Who can participate?
- Women's Groups
- Mission Groups
- Men's Groups
- Sunday School Classes
- Vacation Bible Schools
- Youth and Young Adult Classes
- Individuals—Husbands, wives, grandparents/senior citizens, young children, retirement centers, church sport teams, and in memory of a love one or someone special.
What does it cost?
The cost of sponsoring a child varies from center to center according to the services provided and the cost of living in that country. Sponsorship cost ranges from $25.00 to $30.00 monthly and we have several payment options available. And, there is no administrative fee! All donations collected goes directly to meet the child's need. We invite you to become part of the Child Sponsorship Family. Sponsoring an individual child or by making a special donation for a particular child sponsorship site is a wonderful way to become involved in global mission work.
How does it work?
New sponsors receive a brief biography and photo of an assigned child. Sponsors determine their personal financial commitment for the support of sponsored children. We encourage sponsors to write to their children to learn more about him/her and their life. It is our hope you will receive at least two letters/reports per year from your child. However, writing letters is not always possible given that many of the centers/children live in rural areas lacking electricity or they do not speak the English language.