2017 General Assembly: A Call for the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) to Advocate for the Rights of Children Living Under Israeli Military Occupation
2017 General Synod: A Call for the United Church of Christ to Advocate for the Rights of Children Living Under Israeli Military Occupation
50 years ago in the 1967 War, Israel occupied the Palestinian lands of the West Bank and Gaza and has since implemented a two-tiered legal system in these territories: civil law for Israeli settlers (whose settlements are illegal according to international law); and military law for Palestinians, denying them their basic and fundamental rights. Palestinian children and youth are therefore subject to military arrest and prosecution by Israel, the only country that systematically does so in military courts. Palestinian children are subject to physical and verbal abuse, strip searches, solitary confinement, coerced confessions, and separation from their parents and legal counsel.
The United Church of Christ and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), through Global Ministries, has partners in Israel/Palestine who have appreciated our witness for peace and justice, and have expressed support for these resolutions.
The resolutions call for:
- Attention to the plight of children suffering under Israel’s prolonged military occupation of the West Bank, East Jerusalem, and Gaza. In particular, these resolutions name the traumatic situation of children living with constant fear of arrest, detention, and violence at the hands of Israeli forces.
- To advocate for the human rights of the children of Palestine. These resolutions insist that, from the moment of arrest, all operations and procedures imposed on Palestinian children be carried out in accordance with international juvenile justice standards, specifically the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, which Israel ratified in 1991.
- The United States government to adhere to U.S. laws concerning human rights violations and the disbursement of military aid and assistance to Israeli armed forces.
- The United States Senate to join with 194 other nations in ratifying the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Related to the Resolution
US Tax Dollars Must Not Be Used to Detain Palestinian Children - Dec 11, 2017 Op-Ed written by Rep. McCollum
2017 B'Tselem Report - Unprotected: The Detention of Palestinian Children in East Jerusalem
Defense for Children International - Palestine
- April 2016 Detention Bulletin
- April 2016 Report - No Way to Treat a Child: Palestinian Children in the Israeli Military Detention System
- Issue Factsheet: Military Detention
- March 2013 Briefing Paper - Children in Israeli Military Detention: Observations and Recommendations
- October 2013 - Bulletin No. 1 progress report
- February 2015 - Bulletin No. 2 progress report
US Campaign for Palestinian Rights - US Military Aid to Israel: Policy Implications and Options