3rd Thursday Action Alert: Meet Your Congressional Representatives During Their August Recess
Throughout August, Congress will be in recess. In lieu of an action alert, this month we urge you to take advantage of the recess to schedule meetings with your Representative through their local office or attend town hall meetings whenever possible.
At these meetings, you can advocate for H.R. 2590, the “Defending the Human Rights of Palestinian Children and Families Living Under Israeli Military Occupation Act,” and encourage them to become a co-sponsor of the bill. Emphasize that this bill aims to promote equality and justice by demanding steps to ensure no U.S. funds are used toward the human rights abuses of Palestinians. Supporting this bill can help end U.S. complicity in the Israeli occupation of Palestine.
Additionally, we ask that you call attention to issues facing Palestinians, including:
- Detention and torture of Palestinian children within the Israeli military court system
- The need for humanitarian assistance in Gaza and the ongoing inequalities in access to medical care and COVID-19 vaccines throughout the West Bank and Gaza
- Supporting freedom of movement for medical patients and an end to the Gaza blockade
- Home demolitions and forced displacements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem
- Expanding settlements and the illegal annexation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem
Israel, as an occupying power, must be held accountable to its international obligations. Tell your Representative to protect the human rights of Palestinians and end unconditional military aid to Israel. Israeli imperial/colonial occupation strategies, fully supported by the U.S., must be rejected in order to move toward justice. The unyielding suffering of the Palestinian people can be ended if we continue to push our elected officials to demand change.