The London Missionary Society was the first organization to establish a mission station based at Niamikolo close to Lake Tanganyika in 1885 followed by numerous other mission sites throughout the country. Other missions followed the LMS example and established a presence in other regions. Examples include the Paris Evangelical Mission at Lealui in 1982, the Methodists working among the Illa people in Western Zambia in 1892, the Presbyterians at Mwenzo in 1894. Following independence these four missions merged their work On January 16, 1965, the United Church of Zambia came into being with the Methodists, Congregationalists, Presbyterians and Reformed Evangelicals.
The United Church of Zambia declares its commitment to attaining and maintaining its existence as an effective and perfect instrument for God's work, eager and powerful to proclaim by word and deed the Gospel of Jesus Christ, filled with greater clarity and peace, enriched in worship and fellowship.