"Learn to do good; seek justice, rescue the oppressed, defend the orphan, plead for the widow." Isaiah 1:17
Special Calendar Dates
- January 11 is Human Trafficking Awareness Day
Human trafficking, or trafficking in persons, is one of the world's largest organized criminal enterprises. Millions are held against their will for slave labor and sex work, including tens of thousands in the US. A quarter of them are children. Human trafficking is growing because slave labor is profitable and because poverty and marginalization makes so many vulnerable to exploitation.
Both the UCC and Disciples have passed resolutions against human trafficking called on members and congregations to engage in education about the issue of trafficking in persons and join advocacy efforts to end this criminal and abusive practice.
If you need help or have a tip, call the National Human Trafficking Resource Center at 1 (888) 373-7888 or visit their website.
Resolutions on Human Trafficking
- 2009 UCC General Synod - "A Call to Awareness and Action to End the Practice of Trafficking in Persons"
- 2011 Disciples General Assembly - "Human Trafficking"
Resources on Human Trafficking
- 2018 Interfaith Toolkit on Human Trafficking
- Global Ministries Projects Addressing Human Trafficking
- Disciples Women Resources on Human Trafficking
- UCC Justice and Witness Ministries Resources on Human Trafficking
- U.S. State Department 2016 Trafficking in Persons Report
- International Labor Organization Global Estimates of Modern Slavery 2017 Report
- United Nations 2016 Global Report on Trafficking in Persons
- Council on Foreign Relations Report - Modern Slavery: An exploration of its root causes and the human toll
- The major interfaith statement against trafficking released by the Pope and other religious leaders in 2014
- Slaves Among Us, A Bible Study for the International Disciples Women’s Ministries, LaVerne Thorpe
- The Sum of Justice for Human Trafficking: Prayer of Lament and Libation, Rev. Waltrina N. Middleton
A Litany of Commitment to address Human Trafficking during the Super Bowl, Rev. Loey Powell
- 5 Ways to End Human Trafficking: a collection of additional resources including reports, remarks, books, films, and action steps.
- Global Ministries Advocacy on Global Human Rights Issues
Organizations Involved in Fighting Human Trafficking
- Alliance to End Slavery and Trafficking (ATEST)
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers
- Free the Slaves
- Freedom Network USA
- Know the Chain
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center
- Not for Sale Campaign
- Polaris Project
- Slavery Footprint
- U.S. State Department Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons
- United Nations Global Initiative to Fight Human Trafficking