Inanda Seminary Dedicates Swimming Pool and Memorial Garden
donated by the Seminary’s alumnae
During its At Home celebration on Saturday, 22 October 2011 (10hr00), the Inanda Seminary will dedicate a newly constructed swimming pool. The Inanda Seminary was founded in 1869 and the oldest historic school for black females in southern Africa. The pool is donated by the estate of Dr Mantombazana Tshabalala-Msimang to the honour of Dr Helmut Weigert. Dr Tshabalala-Msimang studied at the Seminary from 1954 to 1958. Dr Weigert taught at the Seminary from 1970 to 1974. In 1974, Dr Weigert died attempting to save two Inanda students from drowning. One student survived.The pool is 25 meters long and 1.2 to 1.5 meters deep. Also being dedicated on 22 October is a Memorial Garden adjacent to the Lavinia Scott Chapel. The Memorial Garden is donated by the Seminary’s alumnae (‘Old Girls’).