Lectionary Text and Prayers for Hong Kong: Mark 4:26-34
O God, whatever our mission calling, You provide the seed, soil, water and sunshine – and ultimately, the harvest. May all that we do to serve the world in Your holy name bring honor and glory to Your Kingdom for the healing of the nations.
In Hong Kong, let us pray for those suffering from the global financial tsunami, especially the poor who lose the most when their jobs are gone. Let us pray that the Hong Kong government will be responsive to the needs of the whole community, not just the wealthy and powerful. We also remember racial minorities who are discriminated against and marginalized because of race and language. May the people of Hong Kong dare to speak out for truth and justice so that all may live in peace and harmony. And may almighty God guide and protect us as we battle the H1N1 virus with the hard lessons learned from SARS in 2003. With faith, hope and love, we shall overcome.
(Prayer by Judy Chan)
Global Ministries International Partners Hong Kong:
- Asia and Pacific Alliance of YMCAs: http://www.asiapacificymca.org/ - Federation of YMCA movements in 27 countries in the Asia and Pacific region, with programs for global citizenship and social responsibility, peace with justice and sustainability for life.
- Asian Human Rights Commission: http://www.ahrchk.net/index.php - An independent, non-governmental body, which seeks to promote greater awareness and realization of human rights in the Asia region, and to mobilize Asian and international public opinion to obtain relief and redress for the victims of human rights violations.
- Christian Study Centre on Chinese Religion and Culture: http://www.csccrc.org -Ecumenical research institute for study of the religions and culture of China, including Hong Kong.
- Chung Chi College Divinity School: http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/theology - Ecumenical seminary providing theological education for church leaders and laity. The school is supported by mainline churches and is part of the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong Christian Council: http://www.hkcc.org.hk - Ecumenical body of mainline churches and Christian organizations. It works for a united Christian witness and mission in Hong Kong society.
- Hong Kong Christian Institute: http://www.hkci.org.hk/ - Christian center for education and advocacy on issues of social concern. The organization promotes human rights, democracy and justice in Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong Christian Service: http://www.hkcs.org/index_e.htm - One of HK's largest social service agencies. It was started by mainline churches and provides Christian Service for "The Healing and Growth of People."
- Hong Kong Council of the Church of Christ in China: http://www.hkcccc.org (Chinese version only) – Hong Kong church denomination with historic Congregational and Presbyterian roots. The Council has 65 congregations and is the sponsoring body for more than 50 elementary and secondary schools.
- Hong Kong Women Christian Council: http://www.hkwcc.org.hk/en - Organization to fight for social justice and women's rights, to promote feminist theology and to stand with marginalized communities.
Global Ministries Missionaries in Hong Kong:
- Judy Chan is a Global Ministries missionary serving with the Hong Kong Christian Council in communications. She is in charge of ecumenical radio broadcasting ministry, English publications and ecumenical partnerships in Hong Kong and overseas.
- Bruce Van Voorhis serves as missionary with the Asia and Pacific Alliance of YMCAs in Hong Kong. He will work as their Coordinator for Interfaith Programs beginning July 1, 2009.