Lectionary Selection: John 9:1-41
Prayers for India:
Gracious and loving God, we gather once again to thank and praise you for your abundant love for humanity. We thank and praise you, O God , for being the light of the world, so that we see the path and mend our errant ways. We give thanks O God, that affliction and disease are not deserved but rather opportunities to reveal through us your mercy, compassion and healing. We pray that you use us and our lives to glorify your name here on earth. O Divine Healer, we remember all the sick people, those who are mentally, emotionally or physically sick, especially those admitted unto our care, may your healing hand be upon each one of them and may they see the light at the end of the tunnel.
We pray for all the institutions around the world which are involved in the ministry of healing -may your name be glorified through them.
We lift India in our prayers as she heads toward her general elections. We pray that a non-corrupt government emerges to address the needs of the poor and the socially and educationally disadvantaged classes as their utmost priority. We remember our mission partners in India and pray that your guiding hand be upon them in their individual ministries.
We ask for these prayers in the precious name of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.
Mission Stewardship Moment from India:
Eyesight for the curable blind - this was a vision of Dr. Victor Rambo, a missionary ophthalmologist responsible for making Christian Hospital Mungeli famous for eye treatments in India in the early 1900s. He was the one who started the concept of holding eye-camps in villages in order to reach the masses. Global Ministries through gifts from One Great Hour of Sharing supports staffing for the Christian Hospital Mungeli. Keeping Dr. Rambo’s legacy in mind, the hospital has continued to hold camps for cataract surgeries every month or two and brings in an ophthalmologist from another city. By the grace of God and support of friends, the hospital was able to buy a new Phaco-emulsification machine this year for doing cataract surgery using modern techniques. The last eye-camp of the season was earlier this month. The hope on the patients’ faces before surgery and the happiness afterwards - is a joy to see!
Mission Partners in India:
- All India Association for Christian Higher Education - AIACHE
- Arulagam “House of Grace"
- Center for Interfaith Relations, Study and Joint Action - Peace Trust, Kanyakamuri
- Church of North India (CNI)
- Church of South India (CSI)
- Church’s Auxiliary for Social Action - CASA
- CREATE (Center for Research Education Action Training and Evaluation)
- Darjeerling Tibetan Refugee Center and Tibetan Children’s Village
- Deep Griha Society, Pune
- Family Village Farm and King’s Matriculation
- Henry Martyn Institute for Research, Interfaith Relations and Reconciliation
- Inba Ilam, Madurai and Sivaganga Districts
- Jivana Jyoti Interchurch Service Agency
- Lady Doak College
- Nagpada Neighborhood House
- Nasrapur Spiritual Life Center
- Raipur Christian Retreat and Study Center
- Tamilnadu Theological Seminary
- Unemployed Young People’s Association
- United Theological College, Bangalore
- Voluntary Health Association of India
More information on India:
Global Ministries Missionary in India:
Teresa Henry, a member of Brookmeade Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, Nashville, Tennessee, serves the Synodical Board of Health Services of the Church of North India. She is an anesthesiologist at the Christian Hospital in Mungeli. Teresa's appointment is supported by One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS).
Anil Henry, a member of Brookmeade Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, Nashville, Tennessee, serves the Synodical Board of Health Services of the Church of North India. He works as the medical director of the Christian Hospital in Mungeli. Anil's appointment is supported by One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS)