Programme for Christian-Muslim Relations in Africa (PROCMURA)
The Programme for Christian-Muslim Relations in Africa was originally established in Ghana in 1959 as the “Islam in Africa Project.” The project was created as a result of the country’s struggle for independence from Britain, France, and Portugal.
The Programme for Christian-Muslim Relations in Africa is dedicated to working with the churches in Africa to promote the following:
- Faithful Christian witness to the Gospel in an interfaith environment of Christians and Muslims.
- Constructive engagement with Muslims for peace and peaceful co-existence for the holistic development of the human person.
PROCMURA operates a central office located in Nairobi, Kenya. The office staff structure consists of a general advisor, who oversees operations of the organization. Staff reporting to him include two executive officers who oversee programs as well as finance and administration; and three regional coordinators. Additional staff members are: an administrative assistant, an assistant accountant, a literature and communications officer, a secretary, a librarian/receptionist, and other auxiliary staff.
The three regional coordinators oversee three different regions of Africa including: the Francophone West Africa region, the Anglophone West Africa region, and the East/Southern Africa region. The coordinators oversee the activities of the program in twenty African countries.
PROCMURA believes that Christian witness is an integral part of Christian identity as well as necessary as a presence in an interfaith environment. PROCMURA advocates the following:
- The Christian Church in a Muslim environment should seek to come to a deeper understanding of Muslim neighbors and their religion of Islam
- Understanding not only implies a fair and objective knowledge of Muslims’ beliefs but also respect and empathy towards Muslims
- Christians and Muslims share a common belief in humanity, therefore, the Gospel should be communicated and interpreted to Muslims in a positive manner
- Such interpretation must be faithful and not compromising only to promote peaceful co-existence
Goals for PROCMURA towards positive Christian-Muslim relations include:
- Promoting the spirit of being good neighbors, mutual respect, and tolerance
- Engaging with Muslim communities to ensure that conflicts between Christians and Muslims are solved peacefully and without violence
- Use Christ as a model of the “Prince of Peace” to co-exist with Muslims
Throughout its life span, PROCMURA has:
- Pioneered the dissemination of information regarding Islam and Christian-Muslim relations in Africa to churches in mission organizations around the continent.
- Initiated grassroots ministries to encourage Christian-Muslim collaborations and peaceful co-existence.
- Influenced Christian-Muslim co-operation regarding matters of mutual interest and concern.
- Created forums when conflict between the two communities has arisen.
- Involved peace initiatives where political, religious, and ethnic issues between Christians and Muslims are involved and divided.
- Provided and encouraged specialized training and research on Christian-Muslim relations.
- Created a forum for women to come together regarding Christian-Muslim interaction.
- Promoted research on Christian-Muslim relations in Africa.
- Created a BA, MA, and PhD program in Christian-Muslim relations at African institutes of higher learning.
New Areas to Explore
Regardless of the major success that PROCMURA has achieved, there are still new areas to explore and things that can be strengthened including:
- Initiate two Christian-Muslim MA programs at additional theological colleges.
- Establishment of the PROCMURA research center.
- Support women theologians who study Islam.
- Explore ways to expand the program throughout Africa.
- Train qualified staff to serve as area advisors in emerging areas.
- Expand the program to serve youth.
- Continue as a forum to share the challenges faced with Christian-Muslim relations.
- Continue to work towards a peaceful co-existence between Christians and Muslims.
Support this Ministry
To make a gift for this ministry online or by check use the online donation page.
- 100% of your gift will be directed to Programme for Christian-Muslim Relations in Africa (PROCMURA)
- You will receive updates on the work in this area as they become available
- Share in the vision of God’s abundant life for all people
Dear Brothers and Sisters in the ecumenical family, Ecumenical greetings from the All Africa...Read More
From the All Africa Council of...Read More