Pray for China on Sunday, August 31, 2008
Lectionary Text and Prayers for China: Matthew 16:21-28
Gracious and Ever Loving God,
We pray today for all the people of China and especially for Christianity as it grows so rapidly there. We remember that Jesus calls all of us to take up our cross and follow him (Matthew 16:24) May the purity of faith and depth of trust of each individual Chinese Christian continue and be nourished as they follow Jesus. As the people work to build up harmonious community while moving so quickly into modern times, may they hear the urging of Jesus that we set our minds on divine things rather than on human things (Matthew 16:23).
- China is recovering from a devastating earthquake this last May. Bring consolation and hope to the thousands who have suffered so greatly.
- China has opened itself to the world with the Olympic Games. May the Olympic wonder that the world has shared as “One Dream” become an ongoing reality for all of China’s people.
- We ask you, O God, to be with all the seminary students who work so hard.
- We pray for all new pastors and teachers as they fill the many needed roles in churches and seminaries in China.
- We pray for the many thousands of new Christians who come to the churches, so hungry to learn more.
God, we thank you for this world of diversity and beauty. Be with your people in China and in every nation, and help us all to find ways of love and paths of peace. We ask this in Jesus’ name. AMEN.
Global Ministries International Partners in China:
- Amity Foundation: Read about the work of Amity as it responds to the Sichuan earthquake at: http://www.amityfoundation.org/wordpress/index.php
- China Christian Council: To read about the work of the Protestant Churches in China, click here: http://www.chineseprotestantchurch.org.cn/english/
Global Ministries Personnel in China:
Tom Morse serves with the Amity Foundation as an English Teacher.
Doreen and Michael McFarlane are in their third year as professors at Nanjing Union Theological Seminary, in Nanjing China. Doreen teaches Biblical Hebrew and Old Testament courses, mostly to the graduate students. Michael serves as choir director and teaches sacred music and other music-related courses. They are privileged to serve in these positions, laboring together with the Christians of China to build up an educated clergy and prepare the greatly needed seminary educators for China’s future, as the church grows there by leaps and bounds!