Pray for El Salvador on Sunday, September 27, 2009
Lectionary Text and Prayers for El Salvador: Mark 9:38-50
God of love,
As we gather here today we ask that you help us to see your deeds of power in El Salvador.
Help us to see the faith of the Evangelical Lutheran Church as they seek to spread your message of hope in a country plagued with demons.
May no one stop those who seek to cast out the demons of poverty, crime, and violence. Help us to see the struggle, as so many look for jobs where so few exist, as youth join gangs and drug trafficking becomes big business, and as too many people fear for the lives of their families.
Help us to see the consequences of the extensive migration to places with better offers.
Help us, O God, to see an end to the violence and the beginning of a secure and sustainable society.
And help us to see ourselves, and the stumbling blocks we put before our brothers and sisters in Christ, and give us the power to tear them out.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
(Prayer by Nick Green)
Global Ministries International Partners in El Salvador:
Sínodo Luterano Salavadoreño
- Diaconal Ministries
- Human Rights – Seeks justice for those who face oppression such as children, women, emigrants living abroad, laborers, indigenous peoples, and LGBTQ persons.
- Stewardship through Risk Management – Works to defend God’s creation by finding ways to take action on issues such as water pollution, dam construction, and mineral exploitation, as well as takes action to provide seed for beans and rice in the communities.
- Health – Provides aid for those infected with Dengue or the H1N1 virus as well as provides aid and education programs for HIV and AIDS.
- Sister Churches – Coordinates relations with sister churches in the United States, Canada, and Europe, including Lutheran churches, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the United Church of Christ, and Presbyterian churches.
- Pastoral Ministries
- Evangelism and Theological Education – Provides education for pastors and lay leaders in the church.
- Gender and Family – Focuses on programming for the children, youth, elderly, and women.
- Ecumenicism – Works with other denominations such as Catholicism, historical churches, and evangelical churches as well as other religions such as Judaism and Islam.
- Communications – Prepares weekly press conferences, helps people to better understand the church and its mission, publishes a weekly page in an independent newspaper.
- Diaconal Ministries
Iglesia Bautista Emmanuel
Global Ministries Missionary in El Salvador:
Nick Green is serving with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of El Salvador. He is working in the areas of Youth with the Gender and Family Program, and Translation for the Sister Church Program and the Communications Program of the Church.