Pray for Haiti on Sunday, February 15, 2009
Lectionary Text and Prayer for Haiti: Mark 1:40-45
As followers of that radical Galilean peasant may we remember that he was first and foremost a healer. Jesus brought life to those experiencing social alienation. May we do the same. Jesus reached out to those in desperate situations and allowed them to know firsthand the compassion of the divine. May we do the same. Jesus challenged the attitudes and structures that caused misery in his own time in order to bring God’s love to those in need. May we do the same. When the world informs us that we too can choose to be healers may we respond with the heart of Jesus by saying, “I do choose.”
The people of Haiti cry out from the agony of hunger, unemployment, environmental destruction, and political instability. We pray especially for the following:
- That the community churches in CONASPEH stay true to the organization’s liberating vision to be a movement of peace and justice. And that the CONASPEH Congress on February 13-25 be a time of renewal and inspiration for the organization.
- That the plight of those experiencing the pangs of hunger in Haiti not be forgotten.
- For the healing of the Haitian environment, which has undergone a tremendous amount of destruction and exploitation.
- That the women of Haiti may have their voices heard throughout the country and especially within the church.
- For all of the children living in crowded orphanages, on the streets, and in other inhumane situations. May we as people of faith respond to this injustice by reaching out to help.
- For the 12 Disciples regional staff, (Glen Stewart – Tennessee, Paxton Jones – Kansas, Don Hiscox – Upper Midwest, Penny Ross-Corona – Mid-America, Tom Jewell – Oklahoma, Lee Parker – Virginia, Ralph Datema – Central Rocky Mountain, Ray Miles – Georgia, Thad Allen – West Virginia, Sotello Long – South Carolina, Barb Jones – Great River and Rebecca Hale – Northwest) Felix Ortiz and Bob Shebeck who are visiting partners in Haiti at this time during the Be a Global Mission Region Immersion Trip.
In the name of the Spirit of love, compassion, and justice we pray these things.
(Prayer by Patrick Bentrott)
Global Ministries International Partners in Haiti:
- National Spiritual Council of Haitian Churches (CONASPEH) is composed of 6,000 affiliated grassroots churches, approximately 3,000 neighborhood schools, plus the Karen School of Nursing and the Andrew Theological Seminary. An important part of their mission is to provide a more unified political and social voice for Protestant churches in the country.
- House of Hope is a project that works in favor of children who live in domestic slavery
- Hospice St. Joseph is dedicated to walking with the poor who can’t afford health care or emergency surgery.
- Ecumenical Committee for Peace and Justice
- Service Chrétien D’Haiti
- Albert Schweitzer Hospital in Haiti
- Christian Center Integral Development: Sant Kretyen pou Devlopman Entegre (SKDE)
Global Ministries Missionaries in Haiti
Kim and Patrick Bentrott have been appointed to serve the National Spiritual Council of Churches in Haiti (CONASPEH) from 9/1/08 to 8/31/12. Kim advises CONASPEH on health care and diaconal projects and programs and Patrick on theological education and diaconal projects and programs.