Pray for South Africa on Sunday July 22, 2012
Prayers for South Africa: Mark 6:30-34, 53-56
Dear God, today we pray for the students of the Theological Education by Extension College in South Africa as they work on their final projects and prepare for their exams. May the work they do be a blessing for those who need it most.
We thank you for the opportunity to help others. Help us to recognize and address the needs of others in our own communities. Prepare us so that even when we are overwhelmed we can respond with grace, as Jesus did. Grant us patience and perspective when problems seem too large to overcome. Help us to realize how much we have to give, and what a difference it could make.
We thank You for the opportunity to worship together. Help us to live as a global community, working as one to share what You have graciously bestowed upon us. Amen.
Mission Stewardship Moment from South Africa:
I know what to expect when I walk to the grocery store. I know I will encounter at least one other person on the road, we will greet each other, and then I will be begged for a job. I won’t be asked for any special reason- any other person walking to the store would meet the same request. Unemployment in Johannesburg hovers around 25%.
The needs of the South African population can be daunting- there are huge needs for affordable housing; for jobs; for quality education; for clean water; for protection from prevalent crime and corruption; the list could go on indefinitely.
Students of the Theological Education by Extension College in South Africa make significant impacts on communities in need. They are instructed on how to become leaders in their own communities and empowered to provide vital services such as trauma counseling, mentoring groups, and HIV prevention classes.
The college staff of thirteen supports a student body of nearly 3,500 this year alone. That adds up to a lot of community improvements. The college keeps costs low to allow as many students to enroll as possible. We want to create as many future leaders as we can, and we’re able to do this through the international support that we receive. The students could not do this alone; the college could not do this alone. Thank you for supporting your church, which in turn supports our students and South African communities.
(Prayer and Mission Moment by Kristine Tisinger)
Video Resources for South Africa:
- Kristine Tisinger – Theological Education by Extension College (TEEC) : http://globalministries.org/resources/multimedia-resources/videos/video-mission-moments/kristine-tisinger.html
- Dawn & Jon Barnes – UCCSA: http://globalministries.org/resources/multimedia-resources/videos/video-mission-moments/barnes.html
- Carla Giger Makalima – Bridgman Centre: http://globalministries.org/resources/multimedia-resources/videos/video-mission-moments/south-africa-changing-lives.html
- Emily Christmas – TEEC: http://globalministries.org/resources/multimedia-resources/videos/video-mission-moments/south-africa-christmas.html
- Susan Valiquette – Inanda Seminary: http://globalministries.org/resources/multimedia-resources/videos/general-videos/inanda-world-communion-sunday.html
Global Ministries International Partners in South Africa:
- South African Council of Churches: This council consists of the joint work of 26 member churches. The SACC focuses its ministry on social justice, the integrity of creation, and the alleviation of poverty.
- Theological Education by Extension College: This college, supported by nine member churches, helps prepare students for ministry, whether lay or ordained. The college is ecumenical and students come from Catholic, Anglican, Reformed, and African Independent backgrounds.
- United Congregational Church of Southern Africa (UCCSA) – South Africa Synod: The UCCSA – South African Synod consists of over 250 churches, divided into 11 regions. Within the Synod one can find many different cultures and languages, making the SA Synod an example of reconciliation in the new South Africa.
For more info on South Africa: http://globalministries.org/africa/countries/south-africa/
Global Ministries Missionaries in South Africa:
Scott Couper and Susan Valiquette are members of First Congregational Church (UCC), Winter Park, Florida. Scott and Susan serve the United Congregational Church of Southern Africa (UCCSA). Both Scott and Susan live at and serve the Inanda Seminary in Inanda township (near Durban), South Africa. Scott serves the school as the Development Manager. Scott also serves local churches as a pastor. Susan serves the school as the Chaplain and a teacher.
Kristine Tisinger, a member of University Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Fort Worth, Texas, will serve the Theological Education by Extension College (TEEC) in Johannesburg, South Africa as a Global Mission Intern. She works as an administrative assistant in the Academic Department and Library.