Pray for the Republic of Congo on Sunday, September 28, 2008
Lectionary Text and Prayers for the Republic of Congo: Matthew 21:23-32
God, we ask you today to help us to be true to our word with you. When we say we are going to do work in your name, help us to be faithful to our promise and to believe that you will work in and through us as we walk with partners around the globe. We thank you for global partners who remind us of our word and think specifically today of the Church of the Disciples of Christ of the Congo located in the Republic of Congo. We ask you to:
- Grant this young and growing Church strong leadership with wisdom to carry out your mission in Jesus name.
- Bless the food security project that the Church is undertaking on their 27 acre farm.
- Encourage the youth who are being trained in professional skills through the Pointe Noire vocational training center.
- Strengthen the leadership development program and the work of the Bible College in Brazzaville and also the students attending the Protestant University of Congo across the river from Brazzaville in Kinshasa.
- Speak to the participants of the Be a Global Region Immersion Trip as they visit projects and congregations of the Disciples and seek to learn about your mission in their context.
(Prayer by Sandra Gourdet and Bob Shebeck)
Global Ministries International Partners in the Republic of Congo:
- The Church of the Disciples of Christ of the Congo (EDCC): in the Republic of Congo (Brazzaville), is a relatively new church founded in 1995. Global Ministries has been a key supporter since the beginning of the church. Global Ministries funded a missionary from the Community of the Disciples of Christ in Congo (CDCC) in neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo to the newly forming EDCC from 1995 to 2003. The Republic of Congo has made great strides in recovering economically from its 1997 war. The opportunity for religious freedom, after many years in which the government discouraged worship, has caused significant growth in the number of people interested in religious practice. The church is relatively small with about 2,000 members in the country but is growing.
Global Ministries Missionary in the Republic of Congo:
None at this time