Pray for Venezuela on Sunday, December 7, 2008
Lectionary Text and Prayers for Venezuela: Mark 1:1-8
Holy One, we pray this day for justice and peace in Venezuela. We pray that in this Advent season, a time to wait in expectation and awe for the miracle of your love, the people of Venezuela will rejoice in the promise of a new day in which a true reconciliation, in an atmosphere of harmony and consensus, becomes a reality in the land. Our prayers of intercession for our partner church, the Evangelical Pentecostal Union of Venezuela, include specific petitions for wisdom and guidance for:
- Bishop Gamaliel Lugo and the national leaders of the UEPV, as they seek to be a prophetic voice and a pastoral presence in the midst of many changes and transformations taking place in Venezuela today.
- Geremías Colmenares, newly elected major of the city of Ospino, Portuguesa State, and an active lay leader in the UEPV. Grant him the vision and commitment to act justly and for the good of the people.
- For all the leaders in local congregations of the UEPV that they may continue witnessing the truth of the Gospel as they seek to be faithful servants of your reign.
- Eseario Sosa, Herlinda Colmenares. Benigna Flores, Antonio González, Gelacio González, Eliezer González, active members of the UEPV, as they serve in positions of leadership in different municipalities and national programs of the government of Venezuela.
May we continue to be in partnership with the UEPV through the power and presence of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
(Prayer by Carmelo Álvarez)
Global Ministries International Partners in Venezuela:
- Programa Abierto de Capacitacion Teologica (PACTO)
- Union Evangelica Pentecostal Venezolana (UEPV)
Global Ministries Missionary in Venezuela:
Carmelo Alvarez, a member of Hermandad Cristiana, Indianapolis, Indiana, has been appointed to serve the Latin American Evangelical Pentecostal Commission (CEPLA) and the Evangelical Pentecostal Union of Venezuela (UEPV) based in Chicago, Illinois from 2002 to 2010. He serves as program consultant and visiting professor for the CEPLA and the UEPV.