Sabeel Wave of Prayer: Week of April 6, 2021
This week’s Kumi Now online gathering will consider the issue of Palestinian minors prosecuted in Israeli military courts. The Prisoner Support Association, Addameer, reports that about 700 Palestinian children under the age of 18 years are prosecuted every year in Israeli military courts after being arrested, interrogated and detained by the Israeli military.
- Lord, we pray that Palestinian children in the occupied Palestinian territories should be afforded all their legal rights according to international law. We continue to pray for the end of the Israeli military occupation of Palestine. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Kairos Palestine has released its 2021 Easter Alert, focusing on the city of Jerusalem.
‘This year, may Easter, the celebration of resurrection, be a celebration of new peace, love, and full equality for all the people in Jerusalem, the entire region and the whole world. The people of Jerusalem are responsible, the international community is responsible, and so are the Churches, to bring back to Jerusalem its holiness where justice, peace, and love may prevail.’
- Lord of all hopefulness, ‘Your steadfast love never ceases, your mercies never come to an end,’(Lam.3:22). We pray for the restoration of the holy city of Jerusalem into a city of peace, reconciliation and love. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
In Israel more than five million people have been vaccinated against Covid-19 and the infection rate is dropping. While in the occupied Palestinian Territories coronavirus cases are rising, particularly in Gaza. So far Israel has failed to honor its responsibilities as an occupying power to provide vaccines to the almost five million Palestinians living under its military occupation.
- Lord, you are the help and deliverer to those in need. We bring before you all those living in poorer countries, that the rich and powerful countries will share vaccine stocks, so that all may receive protection from the virus. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Palestinian workers were chased by Israeli soldiers near the village of Rummanah by the separation wall near Jenin on Sunday, the 28th of March. During this incident Mahmoud Qasrawi fell to the ground and sustained a severe head wound. He was rushed to the intensive care unit at Rafidia Hospital, Nablus.
- Lord we remember all Palestinian workers who have to go through great difficulties to earn their daily bread. We pray for Mahmoud Qasrawi, that he would receive the treatment he needs in hospital to recover from his serious injury. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Sunday, the 28th of March a group of Israeli settlers set up a tent on Palestinian-owned land in the town of Taqou’, to the east of Bethlehem. This is the first step in establishing a new settlement outpost which would prevent Palestinian farmers from being able to access and cultivate their land.
- Lord, we pray for an end to the rapid expansion of illegal Israeli settlements across the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
After serving twenty years as a political prisoner Magd Barbar, 45, was finally released on Monday, the 29th of March. However, his family celebrations, which are not allowed by the Israeli authorities, were short-lived. Israeli soldiers raided his home on Tuesday night and rearrested him because of the celebration. He was released the following day.
- Lord Jesus, we pray for the thousands of Palestinians now serving as political prisoners in Israeli jails. ‘You give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, guide our feet into the way of peace.’ (Luke 1:79) Lord in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Palestinians commemorated the 45th anniversary of Land Day on Tuesday, the 30th of March. Six Palestinians were killed and many more injured on that day in 1976 when they demonstrated against the Israeli expropriation of their land. The Israeli annexation of Palestinian land inside Israel and the West Bank continues unabated.
- Lord, we pray that the international rule of law will challenge the Israeli authorities and will prevent the perpetration of crimes against the Palestinian people. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Tony Davies died on Tuesday, the 23rd of February at the age of 87 years after many years of campaigning for the rights of Palestinians. He was an active member of the Kairos movement, attending national meetings as well as organising local Kairos meetings in Exeter. He was also active in the Devon Quaker working group on Israel and Palestine.
- Lord, we give thanks for the life and witness of Tony Davis. We pray for his wife and his family and friends as they grieve his loss. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of the Balkans: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, and Slovenia. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.