Sabeel Wave of Prayer: Week of Dec. 6, 2021
Kumi Now, on Tuesday, concentrated on the issue of human rights with Raji Sourani, founder of the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR). For the next two weeks, Kumi will focus on the Right to Return and the occupied Syrian Golan.
- Dear Lord Jesus, when we are despairing you encourage us and tell us, ‘Do not fear, only believe.’(Mark 5:36). We thank you for the nonviolent advocacy actions of the Kumi Now Initiative which help us to channel into action our sense of despair over the occupation of Palestine. We pray for ongoing worldwide support for the Kumi Now Initiative. We pray that it would help international decision makers to work towards a just and equitable peace in the Holy Land. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Friday, December 3rd, Sabeel launched a series of booklets of the writings of Rev Dr. Naim Ateek. The Zoom launch was attended by around 100 people who heard from various speakers on their reactions to the booklets and asked questions of Assis Naim.
- Lord, we give thanks for Rev Ateek and his ongoing commitment to liberation, justice, and peace. We pray that many will be encouraged, challenged, inspired, and informed by these writings. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Thursday, December 2nd, Friends of Sabeel Australia held their Annual General Meeting (AGM) and elected new members to the management committee.
- We give thanks for the many years of service to Sabeel Australia by Ray Baraclough (since 2003), Dave Smith (since 2015), and Jim Minchin who continues to lead weekly prayers at St Paul’s Cathedral in Melbourne as part of the Sabeel Wave of Prayer. For all who pray for the peace of Jerusalem, we give you thanks. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Faith leaders, governmental officials, and community members gathered in Ramallah on December 2nd for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL) Women’s Desk’s second annual national conference entitled “The Path to Gender Justice from a National and Religious Perspective”. This event occurred as part of the #16DaysofActivisim campaign.
- Lord, we pray for the work and witness of ELCJHL, and their commitment to Gender Justice. May these conferences serve as a starting point for change, justice, and peace for all. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Sabeel, in partnership with the Pontifical Mission is to hold a conference on ‘Christianity in Palestine since Pentecost.’ Twelve scholars, both Muslim and Christian, have written research papers on the Christian presence in Palestine since the first century. The conference, marking the launch of an initiative to explore Christian Palestinian history, will be held on December 11th in Ramallah.
- Lord, we pray for the success of this conference as a catalyst for new explorations of Christian Palestinian history. We are thankful for the Pontifical Mission and all who are committed to exploring this important issue. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Wednesday, December 8th, Sabeel held a workshop with 12 guides and tourism experts in Bethlehem to develop itineraries developed by Sabeel in 2021. Sabeel hopes to promote these itineraries to future incoming tour groups and local tourism.
- At a time when tourists are not able to enter Palestine due to travel restrictions, we pray O God, at a time when many struggle for lack of tourist income, we pray O God, for those who have the faith to look forward to the arrival of tourists once again, we pray O God. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On the evening of Wednesday, 1st December, Two Israelis were attacked, and their car was set ablaze by a crowd of Palestinians after they entered downtown Ramallah. The Israelis were rescued by Palestinian police and taken to the nearby Israeli occupation base at Beit El.
- Lord of all humanity, we pray for everyone to act nonviolently towards oppression and injustice. We pray that all human life be respected, and that in this special time of peace and anticipation, we can all see humanity in one another; Christian, Muslim, Jew, Palestinian, or Israeli. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Myanmar and Thailand. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.