Sabeel Wave of Prayer: Week of Nov. 1, 2021
Last week the Kumi Now Online gathering focused on Islamophobia. Next week Kumi Now will highlight the International Day against Fascism and Antisemitism, which takes place on the 9th of November each year. It will also consider how any criticism of Israel’s unjust actions against Palestinians living under occupation is constantly equated with antisemitism. The Israeli authorities cannot be allowed to carry out human rights’ abuses against Palestinians under a cloak of impunity but should be accountable under international law.
- Lord Jesus, we pray that you would free us from any bitter roots of hatred or racism. Help us to cry out to you when we see the sufferings of others. May we remember that you were prepared to die on a cross for the love you have for us and let us abide in your love. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Wednesday, the 27th of October, twelve priests in the Armenian Brotherhood of St. James announced their condemnation of Patriarch Nourhan Manougian to grant a 99 year lease on the Goveroun Bardez. This strategic land in Jerusalem has been part of the Armenian Quarter since the 14th century. The Patriarchate wants to sell the land to Dany Rubinstein, an Australian property developer based in Dubai, who plans to build a luxury hotel on the site.
- Lord, we thank you for the courage and integrity of the twelve priests who are prepared to question the legality of this property deal. We pray that the Armenian church will reconsider the importance of their presence in the city of Jerusalem. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
The Israeli Knesset aborted a bill on Wednesday, the 27th of October, which would have recognized Israel’s responsibility for the 1956 massacre in the Palestinian village of Kafr Qasim. At least 49 Palestinian villagers were shot by Israeli border police as they returned from their work in the fields. They did not know that the Israeli authorities had brought the curfew time forward on the eve of the invasion of Egypt and they walked home unaware that they would be shot.
- Lord, we pray for the relatives of those who were injured or killed, 65years ago, in the massacre of Kafr Qasim. We pray that the Israeli government will come to acknowledge its responsibility for the shedding of innocent Palestinian blood and make a full apology for the massacre of innocent lives. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Tuesday November 2nd, 2021 marked one hundred and four years since the Balfour Declaration was issued and set-in motion the process which led to the displacement and dispossession of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians over the course of ten decades. A century later, the Palestinians continue to be denied their security and basic right of self-determination.
• Lord You are the Almighty, the Prince of Peace and lover of Truth and Justice! Give us hope for tomorrow. We pray for Justice and Truth in our land, that your peace may flow like a river. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Senior Catholic officials in the Holy Land have condemned the decision by the Israeli authorities to ban a three day cultural event in East Jerusalem, as ‘ harsh and unjustifiable’. The event for children was to be hosted by the Maison d’Abraham which is run by Secours Catholique – Caritas France. The Israeli Security Minister prohibited it, claiming it was linked to the Palestinian Authority.
- Lord, we pray for an end to the way the Israeli authorities attempt to stifle all aspects of Palestinian cultural life in East Jerusalem. We pray that the city of Jerusalem will always welcome worshipers of all ethnicities and faiths. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Thursday, the 28th of October, a convoy of Palestinian cars set out on some main roads in Israel heading for Kafr Qara in central Israel. The convoy was protesting the high levels of violent crime being experienced by Palestinian Israeli communities. Parliamentarians from the Joint List, mayors and bereaved relatives took part in the convoy which disrupted the general traffic flow. They were lamenting the lack of commitment shown by the Israeli police force to investigate the frequent homicides suffered by Palestinian Israeli towns.
- Lord, we pray that the Israeli authorities will act to curb the escalation in violence and killings in Palestinian Israeli towns. We pray that they may direct sufficient resources to protect Palestinian communities from unrestrained violence. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Friday, the 29th of October, Sabeel organized a joint trip with the Arab Catholic Scouts in Jerusalem to help the Tent of Nations with the olive harvest. Forty young people participated in the event.
- Lord, we thank you for the young people volunteering their help to the Nassar family at the Tent of Nations. We pray for this Palestinian Christian family who seek to live out their faith and care for their farm, despite Israeli military incursions, settler attacks and a recent fire which affected many of their newly planted and mature trees. We are humbled by their perseverance to build a better future based on respect for all and respect for the land. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
During the last weekend of October many Catholics gather at the shrine of Our Lady, Queen of Palestine for the annual procession. It takes place at Deir Rafat, which lies between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. On this occasion pilgrims focus on praying for peace in their homeland.
- Lord, we pray that you will build our faith, even when all around we see so much suffering. We pray that many more people will open their eyes and see the oppression faced by Palestinians living under the Israeli occupation. Lord, help them to see and to speak out against injustice. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Canada and the United States of America. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Tuesday November 2nd, 2021 marked one hundred and four years since the Balfour Declaration was issued and set in motion the process which led to the displacement and dispossession of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians over the course of ten decades. A century later, the Palestinians continue to be denied their security and basic right of self-determination.
- Lord You are the Almighty, the Prince of Peace and lover of Truth and Justice! Give us hope for tomorrow. We pray for Justice and Truth in our land, that your peace may flow like a river.