Position Opening: Administrative Assistant, Southern Asia Office, Global Ministries (Cleveland)
UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
Common Global Ministries Board, Wider Church Ministries
(A Covenanted Ministry of the United Church of Christ)
JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant
MINISTRY TEAM: Wider Church Ministries / Common Global Ministries, Southern Asia Area Office / Partner Relations Team
REPORTS TO: Southern Asia Area Executive
FLSA STATUS: Non Exempt/Grade 5
APPROVAL DATE: April 18, 2008
GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Provide secretarial and administrative support to ensure the smooth functioning of the office; to carry full responsibility in certain selected functions or areas as designated and/or directed by the Area Executive for Southern Asia.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Open, sort and prioritize regular mail and emails; screen visitors and telephone calls; provide general information regarding the work of the office.
- Respond to emails and other letters on own initiative when appropriate and/or as requested by supervisor.
- Keep track of donations and other funds coming in and going out, and maintain electronic book-keeping with appropriate software program (e.g. Excel, Quick-books); provide up-to-date information to the supervisor when needed.
- Prepare check/wire requests charging appropriate accounts, and follow up on fund transmittals and ensure the receipt of the funds by the recipients through necessary correspondence.
- Keep track of scholarship applications, recipients, funding sources and awards, and follow up with the necessary correspondence as needed.
- Keep track of project requests and funding; follow up with necessary correspondence in consultation with the Area Executive; prepare summaries of the projects and reports as needed.
- Assist in the preparation of reports, meeting dockets, agendas, minutes, correspondence etc., researching information basic to them.
- Prepare, organize and provide the necessary documents, contact information etc., to the Area Executive for meetings, particularly out of town meetings and partner visits.
- Greet and escort missionaries, global partners and other guests during visits to Cleveland, assisting as necessary and appropriate; assist in the armaments for related meetings and events as needed.
- Maintain up-to-date contact information and mailing list of partners, missionaries and others as appropriate, using electronic database.
- Keep computer and hard copy office files current and well organized for retrieval by the Southern Asia area office staff.
- Maintain and order supplies or resources as needed.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, and a minimum of 3 years secretarial/administrative experience and knowledge of standard office procedures.
- Knowledge and experience in electronic communications, including database management and websites; Experience with Excel, File Maker Pro or other database and spreadsheet applications desirable; minimum typing speed of 55 w.p.m. with accuracy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Positive attitude and demonstrated skills to work with people of diverse backgrounds, cultures and levels of education in a sensitive, tactful and diplomatic manner.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload, use good judgment and discretion in sharing information; ability to maintain confidentiality concerning sensitive personnel matters.
- Knowledge of the region and of a major language of the region and knowledge of the United Church of Christ and/or the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) preferred.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for the position and are subject to review and change at any time in accordance with the needs of the ministry. Since no job description can detail all duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a position, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a position shall also be considered part of the position holder’s responsibility.
It is expected that the persons who holds this position will conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the policies of the CMUCC and in a manner that will reflect positively on the organization. All staff are encouraged to nurture safety within the work performed on behalf of the CMUCC by being attentive to self-care, education, maintaining appropriate boundaries, and the importance of referring those in need to supportive and helpful resources.
The United Church of Christ, National Setting, is a Multicultural, Multiracial, Open and Affirming, Accessible to All, Equal Opportunity Employer
Send resumes to:
Human Resources Office #635
United Church of Christ
700 Prospect Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115