WCC Webinar March 25, 2022: “Community, Church, State and the economics of enslavement: views from across the Atlantic”
An online webinar, “Community, Church, State and the economics of enslavement: views from across the Atlantic,” will mark the UN International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade on 25 March. This webinar will feature Global Ministries Co-Executive, Rev. Dr. Karen Georgia Thompson, as a panelist.
This webinar will seek to listen to the shared narratives of people of African descent from across the Atlantic on how their lives have been shaped by the racist transatlantic slave trade. Speakers and participants will unpack the economic and political impact of the racist slave trade on Africa and the Caribbean, as well as the economic and political role of people of African descent in non-black led nations west of the Atlantic.
Discussions will also center around the appropriateness and form of reparations for the economic and social disruption of Africa and people of African descent.
Key questions will include: “How are people of African descent in Africa and across the Atlantic experiencing the legacies of the racist transatlantic slave trade?” and “What is the cumulative cost of the slave trade on Africa and people of African descent?” as well as other open-ended questions.
- Adele Halliday, moderator, Advisory Group, Overcoming Racism, Discrimination and Xenophobia
- Rev. Prof. Eric Nii Bortey Anum, Presbyterian Church of Ghana, professor of New Testament Studies, vice-chancellor of the Institute of International Leadership, Management and Theology (ILU Ghana))
- Ayana MacCalman, Guyana Congregational Church and state solicitor in Guyana
- Marilia Schuller, former WCC Programme to Combat Racism staff member
- Rev. Dr Karen Georgia Thompson, associate general minister for Wider Church Ministries and Operations, co-executive for Global Ministries
- Rev. Dr. Peter Cruchley, Council for World Mission – Legacies of Slavery Project
Starts at 10 AM ET, 7 AM PT. Register here