2011 Report of Activities of the Lesotho Evangelical Church
Read the 2011 Report of Activities of the Lesotho Evangelical Church.
The Lesotho Evangelical Church (LEC) is a long-standing partner of Global Ministries, founded in 1833. Current membership is estimated at 261,350 persons. The LEC is comprised of 112 congregations. It maintains seven health centers and two hospitals and runs 563 schools, one Bible School, and one theological seminary.
Information received on the LEC Water Projects indicates that the project at Scott Hospital in Morija is near completion. This project involved connecting pipes to natural springs on the mountain behind Morija. Approximately 1,500 feet of plastic tubing was laid to connect to an existing line to one of the LEC high schools. Water is now flowing through this line to the hospital and is emptying into two, 10,000 liter storage tanks. This system will bring water from the mountain so that the hospital will no longer have to rely on paying the water service company at a cost of about $4,000 per month. Recent reports indicate that one tank has been installed and the second tank has been delivered to the hospital.
HORSES FOR PASTORS
In the Kingdom of Lesotho, pastors of the Lesotho Evangelical Church use ponies and saddles to travel between very rural villages where they preach in the small churches in those villages. The horses are the most practical transportation in the very mountainous and rough terrain. Two horses have recently been purchased. One will be used in the Sehonghong parish and the other in the Mantsonyane parish.
Two students have been awarded scholarships for religious studies at the University of the Free State in Bloemfontein. These are non-residential students who study at home and then attend the University periodically for exams. Both students are doing well.