Disciples Women in Global Mission
Disciples women have always had an important part in our church’s global mission efforts. The office of Disciples Women and DOM/Global Ministries have worked together over the years to make that possible. At this moment, we would like to celebrate what women in your congregation are doing to continue that legacy. We also want to be more effective in accompanying Disciples women on the global mission journey. One of the ways we would like to do that is by offering this resource that will help your women to take the next step in sharing and receiving the Good News of Jesus to and from the “ends of the earth.” Consider using this checklist of action ideas as you plan global mission activities for the women of your congregation this year.
Global Mission Women…
1. …PRAY regularly for partners, missionaries and the world: Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12
___ a. Pray regularly in your women’s gatherings for the country, partners and missionaries highlighted in the Disciples Women’s mission study materials.
- Prayer resources: www.discipleshomemissions.org/dhm/dhm-ministries/disciples-women/
___ b. Use Global Ministries monthly Mission Bulletin Story or Weekly Prayer as prayer resources.
- Download Story and Prayer at the Global Ministries homepage: www.globalministries.org/worship_resources
2. …EDUCATE women about global issues: Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2
___ a. Include the Disciples Women’s mission study in your gatherings.
- For resources see: www.discipleshomemissions.org/dhm/dhm-ministries/disciples-women/study-material-resources/
- To subscribe to Just Women magazine: www.discipleshomemissions.org/dhm/dhm-ministries/disciples-women/disciples-women-store/just-women-magazine/
___ b. Watch a segment of the Global Ministries Connecting Threads DVD during a women’s gathering and use the study guide to lead a discussion.
- Call 317-713-2575 to order the DVD.
3. …SEEK JUSTICE for the “least of these” in the international community: What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8
___ a. Educate and mobilize women in your congregation on one or more specific Disciples Women’s advocacy issues.
- Social action ideas: www.discipleshomemissions.org/dhm/dhm-ministries/disciples-women/social-action-info/
- Church Women United ideas: www.churchwomen.org/
___ b. Participate in a Global Ministries call to take action.
- Take action ideas: www.globalministries.org/justice_and_advocacy
4. …RECEIVE the gifts of the global church: At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality. 2 Corinthians 8:14
___ a. Host a Disciples Woman-to-Woman Worldwide participant at your church and learn about another part of the world. Invite Disciples women from other churches to attend.
- Contact the Office of Disciples Women to get the name of a person in your area at 888-346-2631
___ b. Host your region’s missionary in your congregation when he or she is interpreting in your area.
- Find your region’s missionary: www.globalministries.org/missionary_relationships
5. …GIVE to the work of global mission: Just as you excel in everything…see that you also excel in this grace of giving.
2 Corinthians 8:7
___ a. Conduct women’s fundraisers to support Disciples Women mission study projects.
- List of current mission projects: www.discipleshomemissions.org/dhm/dhm-ministries/disciples-women/social-action-info/woman-to-woman-service-projects/
___ b. Promote Disciples Mission Fund (DMF), one of the Special Day Offerings and/or Week of Compassion in your congregation or have your congregation consider an “over and above” giving opportunity through Global Ministries.
- Special giving opportunities: www.globalministries.org/special_projects
- Child and Elder sponsorship program: www.globalministries.org/child_sponsorship
6. …SEND women into the world to share the Good News of Jesus: How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, Your God reigns! Isaiah 52:7
___ a. Nominate a woman from your congregation to be a part of a Woman-to-Woman Worldwide experience and provide financial support for the trip or help send your region’s representative on a WWW experience by donating toward your region’s scholarship fund.
- For application information: www.discipleshomemissions.org/dhm/dhm-ministries/disciples-women/woman-to-woman-worldwide/
___ b. Help your congregation plan an overseas group mission trip through Global Ministries People-to-People Pilgrimage program.
- For group trip information: www.globalministries.org/people_to_people_pilgrimages
7. …GROW in sharing the story of God’s mission with others: Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9
___ a. Offer a mission moment(s) in your congregation based on the Disciples Women’s mission study.
- Mission moment ideas: www.discipleshomemissions.org/dhm/dhm-ministries/disciples-women/woman-to-woman-worldwide/
___ b. Designate at least one member Disciples Women’s leadership to participate in the Ministries and Mission Interpreters (MMI) training offered by Global Ministries.
- Contact 317-713-2574 for training dates
What’s next? If you need any help or have any questions about any of the resources above, please don’t hesitate to call or e-mail us. We would also love to hear how women in your congregation are implementing these ideas for action. Please share your story with us and we will do our best to share them with others!
PO Box 1986
Indianapolis, IN 46206
Mission Education and Communication
PO Box 1986
Indianapolis, IN 46206