Be a Global Mission Youth Group!
Your youth group can help change the world and be inspired through global mission! Are you up for the challenge? Global Ministries would like to accompany you on the journey of being a Global Mission Youth Group. These ideas for action will help your youth group create an action plan for the school year. Will you commit to getting your youth group started on the journey? At your next meeting, choose some ideas for action that interest your group!
A Global Mission Youth Group…
1. PRAYS regularly for partners, missionaries and the world: Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12
- Read and talk about the monthly Mission Bulletin Story during youth group.
- Use the Weekly Prayer during a worship service in your congregation or during youth group.
2. EDUCATES youth and members about global issues: Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2
- Watch a segment of the Connecting Threads Around the World Through Global Ministries DVD during youth group and use the study guide to lead a discussion.
- Share through Facebook or create a PowerPoint presentation for your youth group that tells the story of a missionary and/or an international partner of Global Ministries and the country where they serve.
3. SEEKS JUSTICE for the “least of these” in the international community: What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8
- Educate and mobilize your youth group on one or more specific Global Ministries advocacy issues.
- Write letters to your Senators and Congressional Representatives on a specific global justice issue.
4. RECEIVES the gifts of the global church: At the present time, your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality. 2 Corinthians 8:14
- E-mail your conference or region missionary/global church partner to learn about his/her work, the partners he/she serves and the country he/she lives in or set-up a conversation with him/her through Skype or another service.
- Help your congregation host a missionary visit in your congregation where you learn a song or use a prayer from another part of the world.
5. GIVES to the work of global mission: Just as you excel in everything…see that you also excel in this grace of giving. 2 Corinthians 8:7
- Use GoodSearch when searching the internet (visit http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=847213 or set Global Ministries – Disciples of Christ and United Church of Christ as your charity)
- Develop a skit to promote one of the following during worship:
- Tithe youth group fundraisers to support a special project overseas or sponsor a child through Global Ministries Child Sponsorship Program
6. SENDS its members into the world to share the Good News of Jesus: How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, Your God reigns! Isaiah 52:7
- Encourage members who travel internationally to visit Global Ministries missionaries and international partners and to come back and talk about their trip.
- Plan and go on an overseas group mission trip through Global Ministries People-to-People Pilgrimage program.
7. GROWS in sharing the story of God’s mission with others: Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9
- Have someone in your youth group volunteer to be on the Mission/Outreach committee of your local congregation.
- Organize a joint global mission event with other Disciples of Christ and/or United Church of Christ youth groups in your area for the purpose of learning and sharing about God’s mission
Download Online Guide and develop an action plan.
Share a copy of this plan with Global Ministries letting us know how we can help you carry out your ideas for action during the school year. Global Ministries will send your youth group a certificate congratulating you for being on the journey of becoming a Global Mission Youth Group!