Home Celebration at Inanda Seminary
celebrating the progress of the school
During its At Home celebration, Inanda Seminary (est. 1869) welcomed parents, alumnae, friends and sponsors to celebrate the extraordinary progress of the school. The historic independent Christian institution celebrated its past and present by dedicating new developments that enable it to serve well long into the future. The Seminary dedicated a new swimming pool, remembrance garden and computer lab.
The estate of the late Dr Mantombazana Tshabalala-Msimang, who studied at the Seminary from 1954 to 1958, donated the pool to honour Dr Helmut Weigert, who taught at the school from 1970 to 1974. Mr Mendi Msimang, widower to Dr Tshabalala-Msimang, officially opened the pool with his daughters and grandchildren.
In 1974, Dr Weigert died attempting to save two Inanda Seminary students from drowning. Sadly, one student, Faith Busane, died. Thankfully, the other student, Lorraine Nene, survived and attended the pool’s dedication. The construction of the pool represents a milestone in the life of the school in the midst of a black urban township.
The Inanda Seminary also opened a beautifully landscaped remembrance garden donated by the Seminary’s alumnae (‘Old Girls’). Many alumnae were present to officially honour the school by dedicating this contribution to the already verdant campus grounds.
The Solon Foundation funded a portion of the state-of-the-art computer lab. The lab provides modern security, climate control and thirty-seven computer terminals.
The Inanda Seminary is not resting with these achievements. Currently, the school’s largest structure, Phelps Hall, is being restored and renovated and the Lucy Lindley Interpretive Centre’s museum and archive are receiving new exhibitions. New dedications and celebrations will be planned for next year.