Joint Advocacy Initiative Eye on Palestine
Israelis, Many Of Ethiopian Descent, Stage Mass Protest In Tel Aviv Demanding Equality For All
Tel Aviv – Last week’s viral video showing an Israeli policeman beating an Ethiopian-Israeli soldier triggered mass protests in Tel Aviv during Sunday’s rush hour. Thousands of Israelis poured into the streets to demand an end to recurring racism, particularly within the government and police force.
Some protesters, many of whom were Israeli Jews of Ethiopian descent, sat in the middle of large intersections in Tel Aviv, purposely stopping traffic to bring attention to what they say is inherent racism within parts of Israeli society. Others linked arms and led marches down streets, raising their fists and Israeli flags high above the crowd. Read more.
Hamas victory in student vote reflects shifting mood
Ramallah, occupied West Bank – West Bank analysts and party representatives are attributing the victory of a Hamas-aligned group in student council elections last week to growing public frustration with Fatah and the Palestinian Authority (PA).
Often seen as a bellwether for national politics, the elections at Birzeit University, near Ramallah, saw Hamas supporters defeat rivals aligned with Fatah. The results came as a surprise at a campus historically known for its allegiance to factions aligned with the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), especially Fatah, the ruling party of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Read more.
Congress Moves to Protect Israeli Settlements
On Wednesday, the Senate adopted an amendment to the Congressional Trade Priorities and Accountability Act of 2015 (TPA) designed to defend Israel against the global “Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement” (BDS). A similar amendment was adopted in the House of Representatives. Whatever one thinks of the bill’s intentions, the actual content of it is troubling enough that it must be opposed, whether or not one opposes the global BDS movement. Read more.
- Driving Bedouin From Their Homes Is a Crime.
- Carter: Netanyhu is not Committed to Peace.
- Palestinian UN envoy denounces Israeli abuse of children.
- Gaza Crisis “Unsustainable and Intolerable”.
- ICC prosecutor rejects Israel’s fears of bias in war crimes investigation.
- The Israeli Ministry of Defense expands HP’s biometric system in checkpoints.
- Roger Waters slams Brit pop-star Robbie Williams ahead of Tel Aviv concert.
- Zionism Unsettled: A Congregational Study Guide.
- Fatah calls for bigger EU role in Middle East.
- Apartheid and the Palestinian national struggle.
- PLS Sign Petition for Pal Kids.