Kairos Palestine: June 2013 newsletter
This newsletter seeks to connect and inform the global community of Kairos supporters about our latest initiatives, gatherings, and progress. It is an opportunity to reach out to friends of Kairos Palestine around the world: to share reflections, struggles, successes, plans for the future, and news of our work on the ground.
Kairos National Activities:
- Between May 30-june 10, 2013, Nora Carmi was invited by Les Amis de Sabil in France and Le Reseau des Chretiens de La Mediterranee to participate on June 1st in a conference entitled “From Christian Zions to Kairos Palestine” along with Archbishop Elias Chacour, the man of peace from the Galilee. She also witnessed for Jerusalem and just peace from a kairos perspective in Geneva and Annemasse.
- On the 8th of June 2013, Dr. Martha Tonsern and Yasmine Khoury participated at the national BDS conference . Please read here.
- On the 14th of June 2013, Fr. Jamal Khader, Nora Carmi, Dr. Martha Tonsern and Yasmine Khoury met with Indian Theologian and PHD researcher Johnson Thomaskutty from Union Biblical Seminary, Pune, India to discuss the Palestinian contextual theology and Kairos Palestine.
- On the 14th of June 2013, Fr. Jamal Khader, Nora Carmi and Dr. Martha Tonsern met with an American group led by Joy Lapp to exchange discussions about the impact of Kairos Palestine” A moment of Truth” on both local and international supporters and critics.
- On the 17th of June 2013, Nora Carmi spoke in Jerusalem to a French Group from CCFD (Commite contre la faim et pour le development) of 37 people eager to hear Kairos’s position on Jerusalem as well as the facts on the ground around this significant city for all believers.
- On the 19th of June 2013, Yusef Daher and Nora Carmi spoke to 18 Americans from the “Abraham’s Children group” many of them involved with Friends of Sabeel and two members of Kairos USA about the history of Kairos Palestine and how it led to the start of kairos groups within a movement for global justice. Several people in the group shared their own initiatives of teaching the document within their churches, schools and universities.
- On the 26th of June, Yasmine Khoury and Nora Carmi led a bus load of women from Wiam, Arab Educational Institute and Dar a Nadwa on a field trip to Birzeit where they listened to Dr.Samia Butmeh’s lecture on”Women and the Boycott campaign. At the Roman Catholic Parish, they were received by Father Louis Hazboun and groups of women from St. Vincent of Paul and The Committee for the Elderly. Several people signed the Kairos Document before taking a quick but meaningful tour in the three museums established at the Convent. There was much exchange and laughter over lunch before touring the old city and participating in the opening of the annual Rozana Festival.
- On the 27th of June 2013, Rifat Kassis, Dr. Martha Tonsern and Nidal Abu Zuluf met with a Korean delegation to discuss common strategies and actions for the WCC General Assembly in Busan as well as cooperation for the future.