Pray for Botswana on Sunday, December 2, 2012
Lectionary Selection: Luke 21: 25-36
Prayers for Botswana:
Gracious and caring God,
We come to you this Advent season, expectant- that in the end YOU will be make all things right and that you will wipe away every tear. For that, we truly rejoice and give thanks. Nonetheless, help us to also be a people who are expectant and “working” believers – not satisfied with the status quo. Open our eyes; open our ears; open our hearts.
Help us to not only remember the disenfranchised and marginalized in Botswana and elsewhere, help us to be committed – both in word and deed to building up God’s kingdom here on earth – let us begin with us, here and now – to making the world a better place for EVERYONE. Amen
Mission Stewardship Moment from Botswana:
Please remember the people of Botswana at this time:
Let us give thanks to God
- for a nation with an abundance of natural resources; a stable democracy; a government committed to the education of its young people and which takes a pro-active approach to HIV/AIDS.
Let us also be mindful of the following concerns
- The continuing paradox of Africa being rich in natural resources, and yet the poorest continent
- Low and poor rainfall in the region over the last several months – contributing to a decline in food production and a dramatic increase in grocery prices.
- The difficulties often encountered by individuals desiring to become pastors within the United Church of Southern Africa (UCCSA)- a lack of financial resources; being made to travel long distances to attend classes; family responsibilities, a lack of academic resources
- HIV/AIDS- the continuing havoc it causes to families, the community and the nation at large.
- Kgolagano College of Theological Education- the only ecumenical and indigenous tertiary institution engaged in the training of pastors
(Prayer and Mission Moment about the ministry of Jim and Jayanthi Wilson)
Mission Partners in Botswana:
- Botswana Christian Council
- Botswana Synod – United Congregational Church of Southern Africa (UCCSA)
- Kgolagano Theological College
Video Resources about Botswana:
More information on Botswana:
Global Ministries Missionaries in Botswana:
James and Jayanthi Wilson serve the United Congregational Church of Southern Africa (UCCSA). He is seconded to the Botswana Synod assigned to the Kgolagano Theological College in Gaborone. Jim is an instructorat the college and Jayanthi is librarian at the college.