Pray for Chile on Sunday, April 5, 2009
Lectionary Text and Prayers for Chile: Mark 11:1-11
Would I imagine the Prince of Peace riding on the straggly donkey that ambles behind the man who shouts “vendo leche de burra” (I sell donkey milk) early in the morning? Would I buy a handful of withered palm leaves from the entrepreneur child at the plaza to lay down before the Lord of lords? As Easter marks the beginning of the fall in the Southern Hemisphere, may we remember, oh Lord, that you came to turn the world of human pride upside down and inside out. Now in Christ, the first slip to the last, the lowest are exalted, the worthless become priceless, and the dead rise to life. Amen ¡Gloria a Dios! ¡Gloria a Dios! ¡Gloria a Dios! (Glory to God, three times repeated, is how we end many of our congregational prayers at the Pentecostal Church of Chile.)
- Pray for rain for the needs of agriculture, forestry, and hydroelectricity.
- Pray for the organization and legalization of Shalom Center of the Pentecostal Church of Chile as one of the first Pentecostal non-profit foundations in the country.
- Pray for the first trauma healing retreat to be sponsored by the Pentecostal Church of Chile for the relatives of those who were tortured or disappeared during the dictatorship. The country is facing growing violence among the youth as evidence of wounds not yet healed.
- Praise God for the many pastors and lay leaders who work tirelessly among the poorest and neediest people of this country.
(Prayer by Elena Huegel)
Global Ministries International Partners in Chile:
- Iglesia Pentecostal de Chile (IPC): The Pentecostal Church of Chile, in over 350 congregations through out the country, carries out a vibrant ministry among children, youth, women, and men. The church combines evangelism, social action, Christian education, and faith development in projects that include the Bethany Home for the Elderly and the Shalom Center and activities such as street preaching and energetic worship services.
- Communidad Teologica Evangelica de Chile (CTE):
- Fundacion de Ayuda Social de las Iglesias Cristianas (FASIC):
- Centro Ecumenico Diego de MedellinTaller Piret :
- Fundacion Educación Popular en Salud (EPES): http://www.epes.cl/
Global Ministries Missionary in Chile:
Elena Huegel is a missionary with the Pentecostal Church of Chile (IPC). She serves as an environmental, peace, and Christian education specialist at the Shalom Center.