Pray for Chile on Sunday May 23, 2010
Lectionary Text and Prayers for Chile: John 14:8-17
We want to see, Lord, not what the world sees or accepts, but the sights viewed from your love lens that filters out the disasters around us. We love you, and we wish to obey. We believe in the promised Counselor, and we seek the Spirit of truth. Grant us eyes of faith to see your miracles in the midst of our fears. Grant us patience to detect your seeds growing fast as dandelions or slow as trees. Grant us hope that we might keep our eyes open to new dreams and so rebuild our lives on your vision of tomorrow. Grant us joy as we watch your promises fulfilled. We ask these things in the power of Christ’s name so that “the Son might bring glory to the Father.” Amen.
(Prayer by Elena Huegel)
· Please pray for the Pentecostal Church of Chile as it reaches out to all those who lost their homes and/or in the February 27th earthquakes and tsunamis.
· Please pray for the Shalom Center staff as they lead trauma healing and resilience activities and workshops and prepare secondary trauma/compassion fatigue retreats for members of the Pentecostal Church of Chile as well as people from the broader community.
· Please pray for the government of Chile. The earthquakes and tsunamis hit right before the new president came into office and the reconstruction needs are overwhelming. As 2010 marks the bicentennial of Chile’s independence, many of the special events that had been planned in celebration have been cancelled.
· Please pray for all the volunteers who are making emergency housing, gathering food and clothing, and helping with clean up.
· Please pray for the children of Chile, many of whom not only lost their homes but also their schools and medical centers.
For more info on the Chile earthquake recovery and rebuilding, click here: http://globalministries.org/news/lac/chile-earthquake.html
To read Elena Huegel’s last missionary letter, click here: http://globalministries.org/lac/missionaries/46-days-after-the-earthquake.html
Global Ministries International Partners in Chile:
- Iglesia Pentecostal de Chile (IPC): The Pentecostal Church of Chile, in over 350 congregations through out the country, carries out a vibrant ministry among children, youth, women, and men. The church combines evangelism, social action, Christian education, and faith development in projects that include the Bethany Home for the Elderly and the Shalom Center and activities such as street preaching and energetic worship services.
- Communidad Teologica Evangelica de Chile (CTE):
- Fundacion de Ayuda Social de las Iglesias Cristianas (FASIC):
- Centro Ecumenico Diego de MedellinTaller Piret :
- Fundacion Educación Popular en Salud (EPES): http://www.epes.cl/
Global Ministries Missionary in Chile:
Elena Huegel is a missionary with the Pentecostal Church of Chile (IPC). She serves as an environmental, peace, and Christian education specialist at the Shalom Center.