Pray for Indonesia on Sunday, September 13, 2009
Lectionary Text and Prayers for Indonesia/Timor: Mark 8:27-38
God of life and love, God of all peoples everywhere,
We thank you that you have created us in endless variety, giving us many ways to live together, to love one another, and many tongues in which to express our praise and gratitude to you.
Today we pray especially for the many peoples of Indonesia and East Timor. We ask that you guide them in finding their common humanity amidst the great diversity of cultures, languages, and beliefs; in praise of their One Creator may they find peace with one another, reconciliation among former enemies, and a new path toward a more just society.
We ask you to guide and strengthen those who have listened to the call of Christ and now seek His path that they may follow Him. Help us to be true partners to the churches and schools of Indonesia with whom we have formed bonds of friendship, even as we know that they also pray for us. We ask your grace and blessing for:
- The continuing recovery from natural disasters in Aceh, Nias, Alor, and Java
- Healing the scars of communal conflict in Maluku, Sulawesi, and Kalimantan
- The struggle to build a nation from the ruins and poverty left by centuries of colonization in East Timor
- Tom and Monica Liddle and their children, who are just beginning their ministry in East Timor
- Monika Mainnak, with a CGMB scholarship she is the first of her people to receive medical training ; her remote mountain village is counting on her to return so that they may have medical care available
- The Junior High School in Lisadilla, East Timor, needs more teachers and a well so the children will not have to carry water from a distant spring
- Newly elected Indonesian legislators begin their duties this month in the ongoing struggle to build democracy after decades of dictatorship
The path of Christ leads us to people and places such as these. Take us by the hand, Lord, and bring us farther along. Amen.
(Prayer by John Campbell-Nelson)
Global Ministries International Partners in Indonesia/Timor:
Christian Church of West Sulawesi (GKSB)
Global Ministries Missionary in Indonesia/Timor:
John Campbell-Nelson serves the Evangelical Christian Church of West Timor. He has taught at the Theological Faculty of Artha Wacana University and its Center for Regional Studies and served as a consultant to the Evangelical Church in East Timor. He provides in-service training and continuing education for clergy.
Carlos Madrazo began serving in 2007 as an institutional capacity building advisor to IPTL, Didache Foundation and ICUT.
Tom and Monica Liddle serve the Protestant Church of East Timor. Monica works as a medical doctor in the clinic in Same while Tom serves as a facilitator in the church’s program for strengthening congregations and continuing education of pastors.