Pray for Japan on Sunday, August 9, 2009
Lectionary Text and Prayer for Japan: Psalm 130, John 6: 41-51
O Sacred One of Love and Forgiveness on this anniversary day of Hiroshima we call on your mercy during this time of remembrance. We are grateful knowing you are everything that satiates our need for fullness of life. We turn to you on this day of all days. We give our full attention to the preciousness and sacredness of all of your creation. We pray for the peace and wholeness that comes from you along with the strength to recognize your peace. We hold one another into the light and escort one another onto the wings of your peace.
In your Love and Justice– AMEN
Global Ministries International Partners in Japan:
- Doshisha University: http://www.doshisha.ac.jp/english/ Martha Mensendiek is a teacher of Social Welfare at Doshisha University, Kyoto. Casilda Luzares teaches English.
- Asian Rural Institute: The mission of the Asian Rural Institute (ARI) is to build an environmentally healthy, just, and peaceful world, in which each person can live to his or her fullest potential. This mission is rooted in the love of Jesus Christ. To carry out this mission, ARI trains and nurtures rural leaders for a life of sharing. Leaders, both women and men, who live and work in grassroots rural communities primarily in Asia, Africa and the Pacific form a community of learning each year together with staff and other residents. Through community-based learning they study the best ways for rural people to share and enhance local resources and abilities for the common good.
- Emmaus Center: Rev. Jeffrey Mensendiek works as the Director of youth ministries at the Emmaus Center, Northeast Conference of United Church of Christ in Japan, based in Sendai, Japan. Ms. Sandra Lee-Takei works as a global mission Intern at the Emmaus Center as the assistant to the Director of youth ministries.
- Kobe College: http://www.kobe-c.ac.jp/ekc/index.html
- Korean Christian Church in Japan: http://www.kccj.net/
- Miyagi Gakuin Women’s University:
- National Christian Council of Japan: http://ncc-j.org/english/profile.htm
- Tohoku Gakuin University: http://www.tohoku-gakuin.ac.jp/en/index.html
- United Church of Christ in Japan:
Global Ministries Missionaries in Japan:
Sandra Lee-Takei serves as a Global Mission Intern at the Emmaus Center
Casilda Luzares teaches English at Doshisha University and is involved in pastoral ministries to migrant workers from the Philippines, Malaysia and Thailand.
Martha Mensendiek teaches Social Welfare at Doshisha University
Jeffrey Mensendiek serves and the Director of youth ministries at the Emmaus Center and the Sendai Student/Youth Center in Sendai.