Pray for Lesotho on Sunday, January 10, 2016

Pray for Lesotho on Sunday, January 10, 2016

Lesotho_Behle_05.jpegLectionary Selection: Luke 3:15-17, 21-22

Prayers for Lesotho:
Heavenly Creator, in this Epiphany season, let us remember the absolute newness of the coming of your Son Jesus, a renewal of the people, a baptism by the Holy Spirit. Help us to be the wheat of this world, rather than the chaff or husks. You declared your approval and pleasure in Jesus Christ, and we wish to live our lives in a manner which prompts the same affirmation for us. In our time on Earth, we can prepare the way for Jesus to come again, with your guidance and love.

God, we pray for the leaders of Lesotho, the politicians and military in a fight which hurts the innocents; please guide their decisions with your wisdom and grace and help them find agreement, on a path without violence. We also pray for those whose lives have been affected by the ongoing struggle with HIV/AIDS, asking that you give them your comfort.

Mission Stewardship Moment from Lesotho:
Using computers can be a difficult task, especially for people from older generations who don’t benefit from the experience of using computers from the time they’re young. It’s a different way of thinking, wiggling your hands around to make things happen in a digital space. In Lesotho, computers are still a luxury item, unavailable to most of the population; but the Lesotho Evangelical Church, our partner church, made the decision to invest in a computer lab at the theological seminary, recognizing the potential benefits of technology-literate ministers.

Some of the students I teach are young, and have a strong grasp of how to use the computers, while some are older and have never used a computer before these classes. For these older students, topics can be difficult to grasp; part of my job in teaching is to convince the students (and sometimes the faculty) that technology will offer them new ways of reaching out to their future-parishes, to further their theological education, and more. Those who struggle with computers understand this, and it’s amazing to me how hard they work to fully grasp these concepts that they need.

One student in particular, never having used a computer in his life, has particular troubles.  In the first pre-test of the semester, he scored around 30%, while the other students clustered around 70%. He knew that he needed to catch up to the others, to be able to utilize all the tools available to him upon graduating from the seminary, and he fully committed himself to the task. He stays after class has ended, asking questions to ensure he understood everything in the lesson. At times when the lab is open but not class is occurring, I often saw him working extra at practical exercises. He recognized the importance of learning about computers, and decided he needed to work hard so he can be the best minister, preaching the Word of the Lord through all the modern means that come with technology.

This drive is present in all of the students, but most visible in this particularly devoted servant of God.

(Prayer and Mission Moment by Andrew Shearer Cooper)

Mission Partners in Lesotho:

More information on Lesotho:                

Global Ministries Missionary in Lesotho:
Andrew Shearer Cooper serves as a long-term volunteer with the Lesotho Evangelical Church in Lesotho. His appointment is made possible by your gifts to Disciples Mission Fund, Our Churches Wider Mission, and your special gifts.