Sabeel Wave of Prayer: Week of Feb. 22, 2021
The Kumi Now online gathering on Tuesday, the 23rd of February at 6pm Jerusalem Time will focus on Israeli settlements and violence in the occupied Palestinian territories.
- Lord, we remember all those who are affected by the rapid expansion of settlements and all those whose lives are blighted by violence. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Friday, the 12th of January, Bilal Bewatneh from the city of al-Bireh was killed when an Israeli settler rammed his car into him. Bilal had been taking part in a hike in the northern Jordan Valley. Several other members of his Palestinian group were injured in the assault.
- Lord, we pray for the family and friends of Bilal as they mourn his loss. We pray that the other members of the hiking group will recover from their injuries. We pray for an end to the unprovoked settler attacks on Palestinians. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Omar Seyam was forced to start demolishing his own barns in the Silwan area of East Jerusalem on Sunday, the 14th of February. He had been issued with a demolition order by the Israeli municipality and could not afford to pay their exorbitant demolition costs.
- Lord, we pray that the discriminatory practice of issuing building permits to Israelis and not to Palestinians will stop. We pray that the Israeli authorities will cease issuing demolition orders on Palestinian homes and buildings. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
A ten-year-old Palestinian boy was playing near his home in the Aqabat Jaber refugee camp when he picked up a stun grenade which had been discarded by the Israeli army. The device exploded in his hands and caused some injuries. The incident occurred on Monday, the 15th of February, in the cemetery near the camp where frequent clashes occur.
- Lord, we pray for this young Palestinian boy, that doctors will be able to treat his injuries and help him overcome the effects of shock. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Friends of Sabeel France are holding a series of online sessions in French this year. The first event will take place on the 28th of February and Father David Neuhaus SJ will be speaking about Christians in the Holy Land.
- Lord, we are thankful for the opportunities we have to take part in online gatherings especially at this time of pandemic when many of us have to forgo communal worship and meeting together face-to-face. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
On Monday, the 15th of February, a court ordered six Palestinian families in the Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood of Jerusalem to leave the homes they have lived in for the past seventy years. Hundreds of other Palestinian families in this area and in the Batan Al-Alawa neighbourhood of the Silwan district of East Jerusalem are facing court proceedings to make way for Israeli settler communities.
- Lord, we pray that the enforced displacement of Palestinian families in districts of East Jerusalem will be halted. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
Canadian Friends of Sabeel, (CFOS) commenced a defamation action against B’nai Brith Canada arising out of an April 2018 article published by B’nai Brith, in which B’nai Brith alleged that CFOS had promoted an antisemitic book tour. This defamation action has now been settled. As part of the settlement, B’nai Brith has agreed to delete the article in question as well as all of its related social media posts and publications. CFOS has likewise agreed to delete its Press Release announcing the litigation.
- Lord, we thank you for the work of Canadian Friends of Sabeel and for the solidarity and contributions of the Friends of Sabeel around the world. We praise you and thank you that people from so many different countries seek to join together in prayer and action to establish justice and equality in the Holy Land. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of France, Germany and Monaco. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.
- Lord Jesus, in this Lenten season we draw near to you in prayer and open our hearts wide. We ask you to fill us with your love as we look forward with hope to celebrating your resurrection at Easter.
Let us join together in the Christian Aid Prayers of Intercession,
‘We lay before you the hearts, minds and bodies of all those suffering from conflict in Palestine and Israel and from the ongoing occupation. Shower upon all the people of the Holy Land the spirit of justice and reconciliation.’
Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayer.