Sabeel Wave of Prayer: Week of Jan. 17, 2022
An 82-year-old Jewish woman, who is being investigated by Labour for alleged antisemitism for the third time in less than three years, is threatening legal action against the party, claiming it has unlawfully discriminated against her based on her belief in anti-Zionism.
- Lord, for all those wrongly accused, we pray. Give to those who strive to define antisemitism clarity to see the difference between antisemitism and anti-Zionism, to those who would commit acts of antisemitism, give them the foresight to see the wrong in their actions or words. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Film stars including Mark Ruffalo, Susan Sarandon, Gael García Bernal, and Viggo Mortensen, have backed Harry Potter actress Emma Watson, after her social media post about Palestinian solidarity drew ire from Israeli officials. “We join Emma Watson in support of the simple statement that ‘solidarity is a verb’, including meaningful solidarity with Palestinians struggling for their human rights under international law,” said a statement signed by more than 40 film industry notables.
- Lord, we are thankful to those whose voices are the loudest in today’s society and are willing to stand up against oppression of Palestinians. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Israeli settlers attacked the Palestine TV crew this morning while they were returning from a filming assignment in the Jordan Valley. The crew, composed of three members, were stopped and forced out of their vehicle near the village of Bittin, east of Ramallah. The settlers proceeded to harass and attack the Palestine TV members until they were bruised. They, the settlers, were protected by Israeli occupation officers nearby, who did nothing to stop the brutality.
- Lord, the constant attacks by Israeli settlers on Palestinians must end. Freedom of the press is a keystone of a just and open society, grant a swift and full recovery to those injured, and give them strength to resume their reporting. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Dozens of Palestinian Bedouins have been wounded in a crackdown by Israeli forces on a protest against continuing Israeli forestation work on land residents say they privately own near the southern city of Beer al-Sabe (Beer Sheva). The Jewish National Fund (KKL-JNF) use tree planting as a method of preventing Palestinians from accessing their land and to obliterate Palestinian villages.
- O’ God, we pray for all those injured as they protested against the unjust forestation on Palestinian lands. We pray that those responsible for the planting, will cease their actions and allow those who own the land to live in peace with full and unrestricted access to their lands. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
An 80-year-old Palestinian was found dead in a village in the West Bank early Wednesday, his body still handcuffed after an Israeli arrest raid. Omar Abdulmajeed Asad and other family members were returning from visiting relatives when they were stopped by the soldiers. After the troops withdrew, villagers found Asad’s body in a building under construction.
- Lord, grant peace and solace to the family of Omar Abdulmajeed Asad. We pray that a full and open investigation into his death will take place and that those responsible will be brought to justice. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Friends of Sabeel Australia held a zoom meeting, the first of a series, in 2022. The session was led by Bishop Emeritus Munib Younan and focussed on Palestinian Christians.
- Lord, we are thankful for Friends of Sabeel Australia and their commitment to Palestinian Christians. We are thankful for all those involved in organising these sessions, bless the sessions to come and those who take part. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Sabeel-Kairos UK are launching a series of studies for Lent 2022 focused on the Palestinian Cry for Hope and associated themes. This series will include live online events with international speakers, discussion, prayers and actions every Sunday for 5 weeks during lent.
- Lord, we continue to Cry for Hope, for a just peace, and an end to oppression. Bless Sabeel-Kairos UK and their Lent series. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
- We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.