Sabeel Wave of Prayer: Week of May 29, 2023
Next week Kumi Now will consider the devastating environmental impact the Israeli occupation has had on Palestine, as we mark World Environment Day on Monday, the 1st of June. Illegal Israeli settlements, military zones, the apartheid wall, the dumping of industrial toxic waste, the diversion of water resources have all been part of the exploitation of Palestine by Israeli authorities over the past seventy years.
• Lord, our Creator, we cry out to you over the environmental damage in Palestine caused by the Israeli occupation. We pray for an end to the occupation, an end to this devastation and an end to the human rights violations suffered by the Palestinian people. Lord, in your mercy..
On Friday, the 2nd of June, Kairos Palestine will host Patriarch (emeritus) Michel Sabbah to a public forum at Dar Al Kalima University in Bethlehem. Patriarch Sabbah will be leading a discussion about how to bring about a just resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
• Lord, we give thanks for Patriarch Sabbah and his tireless advocacy for justice and peace in Palestine. We pray that you will continue to give him deep understanding and insight into ways of resolving the conflict. Empower him with your Spirit and help him to share your wisdom and bring hope in the face of adversity. Lord, in your mercy…
Last week BADIL Resource Centre and Kairos Palestine gave an online presentation of a joint document entitled, ‘Palestinian Christians- ongoing forcible displacement and dispossession.’ This document builds on their initial joint study which was published in 2012.
• Lord, you are our strength and shield, we cry out to you as more and more Palestinians are losing their homes and livelihoods under the Israeli occupation. The situation is dire and many are forced to leave the land they love. We pray that your church across the world will wake up to the crisis facing our Palestinian brothers and sisters and speak out in their support. Lord, in your mercy..
Last week Sabeel, in collaboration with Bethlehem University, organized a leadership training workshop for young leaders from five different groups in Jerusalem, including the Greek Orthodox Arab Scouts, Melkite Church Scouts, Arab Catholic Scouts, Armenian Scouts, and the Syrian Orthodox Scouts.
• Thank you, Lord, for this opportunity for the young Palestinian scouts from different denominations to meet together to join in leadership training and to get to know one another. We pray that they may make friends and overcome cultural barriers as they acquire new skills and broaden their horizons. Lord, in your mercy..
Shadi Khoury attended his court hearing on Sunday, the 21st of May. It was alleged that he participated in a demonstration on the 22nd of October 2022, a charge he denies. The first prosecution witness was Bara, a fifteen-year-old Palestinian boy. He surprised the court when he denied any prior knowledge of Shadi and withdrew his previous confession to the police, stating that it was obtained under coercion. Another court session has been set for the 23rd of October and Shadi will remain under house arrest.
• Lord, we give thanks for Shadi and his family and for Bara’s courage to withdraw his false witness against Shadi. We pray for patience and resilience for Shadi as he passes through this long period of confinement. Lord, in your mercy..
• Lord, we pray for all Palestinian students preparing to take their Tawjihi or General Secondary Education Certificate. Many students will have been studying hard over the past months and we pray that they will acquit themselves well in their final examinations. Lord, in your mercy…
• We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of Angola and Mozambique. Lord, in your mercy…