Sabeel Wave of Prayer: Week of Nov. 22, 2021
On Tuesday, Sabeel’s Kumi Now Online session focused on the subject of gender-based violence. The session heard from Areej Diabas, program manager for the Women’s Study Center. The Kumi Online session on Tuesday, 30th November, will focus on the Kairos Palestine Document.
- Lord, we raise our voices together with the voice of Kairos Palestine. We pray for an end to the occupation of Palestine and that international lawmakers and governments around the world will actively condemn Israel for their plans to annex more Palestinian land. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Schools, churches, and scout groups, in Palestine and around the world, have started their preparations for Advent and Christmas. In Palestine these groups are working on a range of ways to celebrate this special season such as bazaars, collections for families in need, or training for carol singing and other celebrations.
- Lord, we thank you for the beginning of Advent this weekend – for valuing humanity enough to become one of us, for taking on flesh and teaching us how to love. God, we ask for your guidance so that we not only reflect on this time with hope, joy, peace, and love, but also act upon it. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Sabeel is delighted to be able to host its very popular Ecumenical Christmas Dinner on the 17th December this year. This dinner is always a very special occasion where people from many churches and groups come together to enjoy an evening of food and music with a Christmas message by one of the clergy of Jerusalem.
- We pray for the Sabeel Ecumenical Christmas dinner on Friday. Local clergy from different denominations, international workers, and community members from all walks of life will gather for fellowship, food, and music. We pray that God will be glorified by our celebration. Lord in your mercy…hear our prayers.
The Catholic youth group ‘Youth of the Homeland of Jesus’ have been holding activities in Bethlehem to mark Christ the King. Hundreds of young Christians have been gathering for worship and lectures in a series of events entitled ‘Jesus on Board’.
- Lord, we are thankful for the leadership of ‘Youth of the Homeland of Jesus’ and the prayerful work of the group as they study and worship together in your name. Bless this, and all youth groups, as they continue to bear witness throughout this special season. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Every day, women gather throughout the Old City to sell fruit and vegetables to those who pass by. These women often grow their own produce and use the money they earn to support their families. Recently, the Jerusalem Municipality has been conducting campaigns throughout the city to confiscate the products sold by these women on the basis that they are trading illegally.
- “She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.” (Prov. 3:16) Lord, we pray for these hard-working women who carry their produce to the city each day and sit on the hard ground selling to those who pass by. Bless these women as they work to plant vineyards of support for their families and give pause to those who seek to disrupt their work through confiscation. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
During the night of November 16th, in the city of Hebron, Israeli occupation forces pulled 13 Palestinian children from their beds in the home of the Dana family and photographed them illegally. Israeli human rights organization, B’Tselem said “It seems that for the army, all Palestinians, including boys and girls of elementary school age, are potential criminals – they are allowed to wake them up at any time at night, enter their house, and conduct a line-up.” This process, termed ‘intelligence mapping’ by Israeli forces, is illegal under international law.
- God of compassion, ‘Children are a heritage from the Lord’ says the Psalmist (Ps. 127:3). We pray for all children, that they be allowed to live in peace and safety, free from oppression and threat. We pray, once again, that the international community will take notice, and take action over these injustices committed against even the youngest children. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
- We join the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries of East Timor (Timor Leste), Indonesia, and the Philippines. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.