Sabeel Wave of Prayer: Week of Sept. 19, 2022
This week’s Kumi Now initiative focuses on the bloackade of Gaza. Al On Tuesday, 20th September, we heard from George Antone from Caritas in Gaza who works to respond to the healthcare crisis in the blockaded area.
· Dear Lord, we thank you for the work of Caritas as they work to protect the health and human rights of those living in Gaza. We pray that the blockade of Gaza will come to an end and those patients can receive the treatment they require. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
· Lord, we are grateful for the enduring and steadfast support and solidarity with the Palestinian people shown by Garth over many years. We pray that his new songs may serve as a stepping-stone towards a just peace and open the eyes of those around the world who are in a position to work towards justice. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On Saturday, 1st October 2022, Friends of Sabeel North America (FOSNA) will hold an online conference entitled “Christian Support for the State of Israel: Is it Biblical?” The conference will “hear from clergy in Bethlehem about the impact of this theology on the ground in the Holy Land and particularly how it affects the lives of the Christian community in Israel and Palestine.”
· Lord, we pray for the success of this conference focussing on an important topic to Christians around the world. The misuse of Your word to occupy, disperse, and disenfranchise the Palestinian people cannot continue. We pray that those attending the conference will have their eyes opened to the injustices caused on the ground in Palestine and Israel by those who use Christianity to support injustice. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
On September 23rd, Sabeel, with a coalition of Christian organizations and activists, will hold a one-day trip to the Old City of Jerusalem, the emphasis of the visit will be the Church of the Resurrection (Holy Sepulcher), a holy place for Christians. People will come from different cities and villages from the Holy Land. A time of fellowship will be held in the Armenian Quarter of the Old City.
· Gracious Lord, as Christians from across the Holy Land come together for this day trip, we are thankful for the cross-denominational relationships which allow this to happen. We pray that the visit will serve to strengthen the local Christian community and act as a reminder that Christians are an important and vital part of the fabric of this place. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
The Catholic Youth in Palestine held their annual conference in Nativity Square, Bethlehem from 16th – 19th September 2022. The well-attended and enjoyable festival was centered around the Bible and the prophets in the homeland of Jesus.
· Lord, we are thankful that the Catholic youth were able to come together and enjoy their annual conference in this special place. Bless all those involved in organizing and those who attended this special occasion, may this serve as a beacon of hope amidst the occupation to all Christian youth. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Calls are growing for Israel to immediately release a Palestinian prisoner suffering from cancer who is in a critical condition and believed to be facing death. Nasser abu Hmaid who has been in prison since 2002 was transferred to Assaf Harofeh hospital near Tel Aviv where it is reported that he is near death.
· Dear God, be with the family and friends of Nasser as they strive to have him released to spend his final days at home. Support them as they work tirelessly to find out more information about his condition and battle in the courts against his ongoing detention. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
Israeli occupation authorities have so far issued more than 9500 administrative detention orders since 2015 until now, according to the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS). Administrative detention, the process of holding people in prison with no charge and no trial, is illegal under international law.
· Lord, when will this injustice end? The Israeli authorities continue undeterred to place men, women, and children in administrative detention for extended periods of time without charge or access to legal support. We pray that the international community will respond to the calls of many human rights and legal organizations who are calling for an end to this practice and charges to be brought in the international courts. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.
• We join with the World Council of Churches in their prayers for the countries Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay. Lord, in your mercy…hear our prayers.