International Day of Peace – September 21
The United Nations recognizes September 21 as the International Day of Peace. The UN General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples.
The World Council of Churches also calls on churches around the world to pray for peace on September 21, designating it as the International Day of Prayer for Peace.
Just Peace Sunday
Your church community can mark the Sunday closest to the International Day of Peace as Just Peace Sunday. It is an opportunity to focus in prayer, study and actions, ways to build peace in your community and around the world.
Resources for International Day of Peace
- Global Ministries Peace and Human Security Resources
- Global Ministries Projects Promoting Peace with Justice
- UCC Just Peace Sunday Resources
- 2016 International Day of Peace – Global Day of Action and Prayer for Syria
- UCC Just Peace Church Handbook, June 2015
- On Earth Peace Resources
- United Religions Initiative, International Day of Peace Resources
- “Who Will You Make Peace with Today?” Activities from 2017 Day of Prayer for Peace
Worship Resources for the International Day of Prayer for Peace
- UCC Worship Ways liturgy for Just Peace Sunday – Wisdom Cries Out!
- “The Sword of Peace,” Sermon by Rev. Dr. Janet Parker
- “Their Plowshares are Beat Into Swords,” by Prof. Walter Brueggemann
- WCC International Day of Prayer for Peace Resources