Global Ministries invites you to join the Southern Asia Initiative and Walk Together in Hope by participating in a People-to-People Pilgrimage to meet international partners in person. A mission pilgrimage offers new perspectives and abilities to see our lives, God, and the world in a different way. Participants take common steps of faith in walking with international partners, sharing their joys, understanding their challenges, and experiencing their connection to our wider church.
These pilgrimages provide opportunities to walk in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Christ as they face the challenges of their particular locality, see God in multiple expressions around the places you visit, and listen to the stories of new friends to deepen your own faith. The programs generally include the following:
- worship at local churches
- visits with partner organizations and their projects
- cultural experiences
You are welcome to join a mission pilgrimage or organize your own experience. The program director will work with you and your congregation throughout the duration of the planning process.
Mission Pilgrimage Opportunities:
Dates: March 1 – 15, 2020
Themes: Interfaith initiatives, women’s empowerment and development, migration, HIV/AIDS education and prevention, human trafficking, and theological education.
Woman-to-Woman Worldwide 2020 - Indonesia
Dates: October 24 – November 7, 2020
This is a pilgrimage offered by the Disciples Women in collaboration with Global Ministries. More information to be shared at the end of 2019.
Organizing Your Own Mission Pilgrimage:
Pilgrimages to countries in Southern Asia share the following:
- Duration: It is suggested to plan for 10 – 14 days. Depending on the country, it could take up to 36 hours of travel time each way from the Unites States, thus the need to have a longer stay in country.
- Cost: $3,200 - $3,800 - This amount generally covers airfare, travel insurance, lodging, land transportation, meals, and translation services (where needed). The cost varies depending on the country(ies), activities, projects, length of visit and number of participants.
- Additional Costs: Participants should plan to incur in additional costs for obtaining/renewing passport, applying for visas, receving the necessary immunizations, and personal spending in country.
You can visit one or more of the following countries. Their partner organizations offer options to help build your own pilgrimage.
If you would like to receive more information on pilgrimages in one or more of these countries, please fill out the Application for Pilgrimage and we will be in touch to help you move forward in your process.
To learn more about these and other opportunities, and to obtain the People-to-People Guides for Leaders and Participants, visit the People-to-People Pilgrimage page.
Let Us Walk Together in Hope!