Seeking Peace with Justice in Korea
Each year Christians in North and South Korea release a joint prayer to use on the Sunday of Prayer for the Peaceful Reunification of the Korean Peninsula. Churches are invited to recognize this special day of prayer on the Sunday before August 15, which is Korea’s Liberation Day. The date commemorates Korea’s independence from Japanese colonization in 1945. Both South Korea and North Korea mark the date, since many regard the two states as one country divided by circumstances of war and politics.
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the United Church of Christ are responding to an urgent request from the National Council of Churches in Korea (NCCK), a longtime mission partner of Global Ministries, to join with them in supporting the Korea Peace Appeal and calling for an official end to the Korean War.
Help us reach 10,000 signatures supporting the Korea Peace Appeal!
The Korea Peace Appeal continues Global Ministries participation in the Global Campaign for a Korea Peace Treaty, which calls for the international community to negotiate a Korean peace treaty to replace the 1953 Armistice Agreement. The Armistice was only a temporary political arrangement to stop the fighting in the Korean War, but the peninsula and its people remain divided by fear and hostility.
You can advocate for a Peace Treaty to end the division and recurring incidents of violence on the Korean peninsula.
Through both the Korea Peace Appeal and the Peace Treaty Campaign Global Ministries is responding to resolutions passed by the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ in 2015 that seek Peace, Justice and Reunification in the Korean Peninsula. The motions call the “U.S. government and international community [to] commence a new process of peace-building across the Korean peninsula, that includes a commitment by all parties to replace the Armistice Agreement of 1953 with a permanent peace treaty, finally bringing an end to the state of war; and a mutual commitment to end provocative military exercises on the peninsula, to reduce military expenditures, and to eliminate nuclear weapons on the peninsula, establishing a model for peace and demilitarization in Northeast Asia[.]”
2020 Peace Jubilee Year – 70th Anniversary of Korean War
The year 2020 was the 70th Anniversary of the start of the Korean War. On July 23, 2020 the National Council of Churches in Korea convened partners and civil society groups for the historic Declaration for the People’s Korea Peace Agreement. Global Ministries partner the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK) held a Peace Convocation marking the 70th Anniversary of the Korea War.
Throughout 2020 the National Council of Churches in Korea and World Council of Churches invited churches worldwide to join “Light of Peace,” a Jubilee prayer campaign for peace on the Korean Peninsula. The collection of prayers and stories remain for churches to continue praying for peace.
Global Ministries Resources
- Reflection and Report of the Pilgrimage of Justice and Peace in Korea, Dec. 2019, by John Ahn and Jess Kim
- Getting to the Root: Time for a Korea Peace Treaty, July 2016, by Derek Duncan
- Witness for Justice: Pursue healing, justice, reconciliation, peace and reunification in Korea, December 2015, by Xiaoling Zhu
- Disciples Resolution on Peace, Justice and Reunification in the Korean Peninsula
- UCC Resolution on Peace, Justice and Reunification in the Korean Peninsula
- 2022 Join South-North (North-South) Prayer for Peace & Reconciliation on the Korean Peninsula
- 2021 Joint South-North (North-South) Prayer for Peace & Reconciliation on the Korean Peninsula
- 2020 Light of Peace Jubilee prayer campaign
- 2019 Sunday Prayer Worship for the Peaceful Reunification of the Korean Peninsula
- 2018 Sunday of Prayer for the Peaceful Reunification of the Korean Peninsula
- 2017 Sunday of Prayer for the Peaceful Reunification of the Korean Peninsula
- 2016 Worship for the Peace and Reunification of the Korean Peninsula
- 2015 Easter North-South Korea Joint Prayer
- 2013 Prayer for Peace and Reunification of North and South Korea