Seeking Peace with Justice in Korea
On July 23, 2020 the National Council of Churches in Korea convened partners and civil society groups for the historic Declaration for the People’s Korea Peace Agreement
2020 Peace Jubilee Year – 70th Anniversary of Korean War
The year 2020 is the 70th Anniversary of the start of the Korean War. The Korean War, which broke out on June 25th, 1950, cost millions of lives and left the Korean Peninsula in ruins. The 1953 Armistice Agreement did not lead to a peace agreement and the Korean land and people, including many families separated by war, remain divided to this day. International partners are joining Korean churches in calling attention this year to the need for an official agreement to be “the first step toward ending this conflict and the military confrontation which threatens life on the Korean Peninsula.”
Global Ministries partner the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK) held a Peace Convocation marking the 70th Memorial Anniversary of the Korea War.
Take Action! Time for a Korea Peace Treaty
The Korean War ended on in 1953 with the signing of an Armistice Agreement as only a temporary political arrangement. Yet after nearly 70 years a formal peace treaty has never been reached, leaving the peninsula and its people divided by fear and hostility, and subject to recurring incidents of violence. Korean partners insist now is the time to formally end the Korean War. Global Ministries joins the Global Campaign for a Korea Peace Treaty in seeking a new direction in U.S. policy that prioritizes negotiations for a Korean peace treaty to replace the Armistice Agreement. Add your voice to this effort to bring peace and healing to the legacy of division and conflict that remains on the Korean peninsula.
Pray for Peace!
The National Council of Churches in Korea and World Council of Churches invites churches worldwide to join “Light of Peace,” a Jubilee prayer campaign for peace on the Korean Peninsula from 1 March to 15 August, 2020.
During the campaign 70 prayers and stories will be published, corresponding with a commemoration of 70 years since the Korean War in 2020. In cooperation with the National Council of Churches in Korea, prayers will be published online each week.
August 15: National Liberation Day of Korea
August 15 is the date of Korea’s Liberation from Japanese colonization in 1945. Both South Korea and North Korea celebrate the date, since many regard the two states as one country whose shared history and future are but momentarily, if tragically, divided by the circumstances of war and politics.
In 2015 the Disciples of Christ and UCC each passed the resolution A Call for Peace, Justice and Reunification in the Korean Peninsula which recognizes “the Sunday before August 15 as the Sunday of Prayer for the Peaceful Reunification of the Korean Peninsula.”
The resolutions also call the “U.S. government and international community [to] commence a new process of peace-building across the Korean peninsula, that includes a commitment by all parties to replace the Armistice Agreement of 1953 with a permanent peace treaty, finally bringing an end to the state of war; and a mutual commitment to end provocative military exercises on the peninsula, to reduce military expenditures, and to eliminate nuclear weapons on the peninsula, establishing a model for peace and demilitarization in Northeast Asia[.]”
Global Ministries Resources
- Reflection and Report of the Pilgrimage of Justice and Peace in Korea, Dec. 2019, by John Ahn and Jess Kim
- Getting to the Root: Time for a Korea Peace Treaty, July 2016, by Derek Duncan
- Witness for Justice: Pursue healing, justice, reconciliation, peace and reunification in Korea, December 2015, by Xiaoling Zhu
- Disciples Resolution on Peace, Justice and Reunification in the Korean Peninsula
- UCC Resolution on Peace, Justice and Reunification in the Korean Peninsula
- 2020 Light of Peace Jubilee prayer campaign
- 2019 Sunday Prayer Worship for the Peaceful Reunification of the Korean Peninsula
- 2018 Sunday of Prayer for the Peaceful Reunification of the Korean Peninsula
- 2017 Sunday of Prayer for the Peaceful Reunification of the Korean Peninsula
- 2016 Worship for the Peace and Reunification of the Korean Peninsula
- 2015 Easter North-South Korea Joint Prayer
- 2013 Prayer for Peace and Reunification of North and South Korea