The Disciples and UCC address the crisis in the Middle East
As we continue to witness the tragic crisis in the Middle East that escalated on Oct. 7, but has roots that are decades long, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ have been active in a variety of ways, including through public witness statements issued together with ecumenical bodies of which our churches are members, advocacy action alerts, and appeals to support our partners in the region. The following is an index of those efforts.
A short background is available here. Updates, reports, statements from partners, action alerts, and other news pertaining to the crisis are available here. Please check regularly as content is added and updated frequently.
Statements – The Disciples and UCC are members of Churches for Middle East Peace, the National Council of Churches of Christ in the USA, Church World Service, and Shoulder to Shoulder.
The Common Global Ministries Board of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ adopted this statement at its fall meeting which convened in Indianapolis, IN on Nov. 11-12, 2023.
A joint statement was issued by the Joint Commission, composed of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Puerto Rico and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada following its meeting on Oct. 16-17.
Churches for Middle East Peace
- A Ceasefire Is the Only Way Forward to Prevent Mass Killing, Further Death, and Destruction (Dec. 2)
- 68 Global and Christian Leaders Call for a Ceasefire and Peace (Nov. 29)
- CMEP Welcomes News of Temporary Cessation in Violence and Release of Hostages; Renews Calls for a Permanent Ceasefire and an Enduring Peace (Nov. 24)
- CMEP Fears Devastating Impact of Violence on Christians in Jerusalem, West Bank, and Gaza (Nov. 17)
- Letter from 30 Christian Leaders, including Disciples and UCC General Ministers and Presidents to President Biden to support an immediate ceasefire, de-escalation, and restraint by all involved (Nov. 9, 2023)
- Ceasefire Now! Biden Administration’s Response Inadequate to Catastrophe in Gaza (Nov. 3)
- End the War Now: CMEP Fears Catastrophic Deaths of Civilians in Gaza (Oct. 27)
- Churches for Middle East Peace (CMEP) Condemns Attack Against St. Porphyrius Greek Orthodox Church in Gaza (Oct. 21)
- Churches for Middle East Peace (CMEP) Calls for a Ceasefire and Issues Desperate Plea: President Biden’s Humanitarian Relief is Not Getting to People in Gaza (Oct. 19)
- Churches for Middle East Peace (CMEP) Expresses Sadness and Outrage at Bombing of al-Ahli Hospital in Gaza (Oct. 17)
- Churches for Middle East Peace (CMEP) Joins United Nations in Call Not to Ignore Gazans “Dying at the World’s Watch” (Oct. 13)
- Disciples and UCC join ecumenical community in letter to Congress on crisis in Israel/Palestine (Oct. 12)
- Churches for Middle East Peace (CMEP) Implores Restraint, De-escalation of Conflict, Humanitarian Access, and Addressing Core Issues of Conflict (Oct. 10)
- CMEP Condemns All Acts of Violence, Calls for Prayer, and Implores Global Leaders to Address Core Issues of the War between Hamas and Israel (Oct. 7)
National Council of Churches of Christ in the USA
- NCC Statement on Israel and Palestine, and the Current Hostilities (Oct. 16)
Church World Service
- CWS Calls for Immediate Creation of Humanitarian Corridors in Gaza, Ceasefire to Protect the Innocent (Oct. 18)
- CWS Mourns Lives Lost in Horrific Attacks in Israel and Palestine, Calls for End to Violence and Protection of Vulnerable Families (Oct. 15)
Shoulder to Shoulder
- Shoulder to Shoulder: In Wadea Al-Fayoume’s Memory – a Call to Counter Dehumanizing Narratives (Oct. 18)
Action Alerts – In addition to a public witness of statements, advocacy by citizens is essential to end the crisis. Our members are encouraged to use these action alerts to communicate directly with your elected leaders.
- 3rd Thursday Action Alert: Call for a cease-fire and de-escalation of the conflict, the flow of humanitarian aid, respect for safe spaces for Gazan noncombatants, and all parties to respect international humanitarian law (Nov. 15)
- 3rd Thursday Action Alert: Call for a ceasefire; end the Gaza blockade and provide safe spaces for Gazan non-combatants; release and do not harm hostages; oppose further militarization (Oct. 13)
- Global Ministries (UCC & Disciples): Call for an End to the Violence in Israel and Gaza (Oct. 12)
- CMEP Action Alert: Encourage Your Representative to support the Ceasefire Now Resolution! (Oct. 25)
- CMEP Action Alert: Call on Members of Congress to support ceasefire, restraint, de-escalation of violence and protection of civilian life in Israel/Palestine (Oct. 11)
Appeals – Disciples and UCC partners are responding to the needs of the people who have suffered the most. You are encouraged to support our partners through the appeals issued by our churches.
- UCC: An urgent appeal: Help UCC give humanitarian aid to people amid war in Gaza, Palestine and Israel (Oct. 20)
- Disciples: Middle East Crisis (Oct. 18)
Prayers – The following are prayers offered by the leaders of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ, recorded on Oct. 17, 2023.
- Rev. Teresa “Terri” Hord Owens, General Minister and President, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Rev. Dr. Karen Georgia Thompson, General Minister and President, United Church of Christ